PDA

View Full Version : Making the switch, various questions about roofs, ceilings etc.

olson
2006-02-01, 02:15 PM
Hello guys,
I am an owner of a smaller firm. You have probably seen me asking questions here and there. I guess the good thing is my office is moving to Revit. I have been the the demos and other Revit promotion and the other firms are all staying away from Revit. (i think they are scared) I am kind of the tech guy and have alot of pull in that decision. I have shown the others in the studio and they like what they see. I have some general questions though just for my sanity when i am working with others and hear "well i could do that in cad in half the time"

1. Floor finishes. I am not to sure how to attack that. If i put in a floor with a finish it shows through the tub, toilet and vanity and casework.

2. Casework. I have looked at the casework not bad but I trip up on counter tops and w/ sinks etc.

3. Exposed rafter tails. I have posted this before. would you create a roof with sheathing only then add the tails to the model as a component.

4. Heeled trusses?

5. Ceilings. typ the bottom chord does the job just not sure how to get there.

Maybe i am just a little to pickey and need to work more general to specific. I suppose if you can create a boundry of the construction you can fill in the details.

We do alot of different projects. My office does Medical T.I. work new commercial structures, residentia and multi-family. I am working on some simple houses, a custom house and some condos. seems like the simple house and the condos are giving me the fits. the custom which is prettty modern is easy.

Hope i didn't bodg anybody down. They guys in the studio are used to cranking things out and I am convinced that this is the direction I want to go just need to show them the way.

Thanks,
Chris Olson

aaronrumple
2006-02-01, 02:47 PM
1. Floor finishes. I am not to sure how to attack that. If i put in a floor with a finish it shows through the tub, toilet and vanity and casework.

2. Casework. I have looked at the casework not bad but I trip up on counter tops and w/ sinks etc.

3. Exposed rafter tails. I have posted this before. would you create a roof with sheathing only then add the tails to the model as a component.

4. Heeled trusses?

5. Ceilings. typ the bottom chord does the job just not sure how to get there.

1. Check out my post here:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=20766&highlight=ultra+lightweight

2. Do you need to model the sink 3D? We typically don't so I just have a family that puts the sink on the counter as linework. No need for me to cut a hole in the counter. If I need a 3D sink for rendering I'll use a short section of counter designed with a hole and then butt my other runs up to this section of counter.

3. Yes. You've got the right idea.

4. I don't bother drawing trusses in 3D. I just position the roof as needed. This serves a the top chord. The ceiling framing serves as the bottom chord. A wall will serve as the heel. The webs I just draft in with linework.

5. Depends on the construction. Often in residential I'll just use gyp. bd. on the bottom of the floor framing. Other times we just draw in the ceilings. No big deal either way.

archjake
2006-02-01, 03:36 PM
4. I don't bother drawing trusses in 3D. I just position the roof as needed. This serves a the top chord. The ceiling framing serves as the bottom chord. A wall will serve as the heel. The webs I just draft in with linework.

For a custom truss I will model and in-place family. Create a sweep 1 1/2" in length and then the profile is the shape of your truss. Just copy or array as required. Very fast.

olson
2006-02-01, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys. I really enjoy working in Revit just have to implement it full time. I am learning the fam editor and need to brush up on in place fam.