PDA

View Full Version : Workspaces and displaying different menus

jrichardson
2006-02-01, 10:00 PM
I have renamed the acad.cui file as acad_era.cui. This will become my enterprise CUI File with era_custom as my main (for user customization). But for now acad_main.cui is my main for editing. My partial menus to this include acetmain.cui, era.cui, and pc_piece.cui. era.cui is the companies standard custom info on top of autocad. pc_piece is another custom info for precast piece drawings. era and pc_piece information should never exist in the same profile. They both have different cad standards related to them. I was hoping that I could partial load these in the era_acad cui and use workspaces to display the two different partial menus. The standard era workspace works fine. I than create the pc_piece workspace. The era toolbars will shut off but the menus will not. Also the menus that I create under the pc_piece profile will not save. All cui's are part of the main menu at this time (not read only) Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way to approach this? Should I create a pc_piece_acad cui and keep it separate from the era_acad cui? Hopefully some of this makes sense.

thanks

jpaulsen
2006-02-02, 04:05 PM
The era toolbars will shut off but the menus will not. Also the menus that I create under the pc_piece profile will not save.What menus are you referring to here, pull-down, shortcut or both?

era and pc_piece information should never exist in the same profile.
Why do you have two profiles? Are the search paths different in each one?

RobertB
2006-02-02, 10:50 PM
I too, am confused by the profiles part of your explaination. Do you intend, in the end, to have two separate profiles for the two "types"? i.e., you plan on having two shortcuts on your desktop, one to load the ERA profile, and the other to load the PC_Piece profile. So you don't even want the ERA.cui to load along with the PC_Piece.cui? Is there a reason they cannot load together? Or do you plan on using workspaces to control what menus/toolbars are loaded? e.g. ERA workspace turns off the display of the PC_Piece stuff.

jrichardson
2006-02-03, 12:35 PM
Sorry for the confusion. Part of it might be my terminology (old) menu vs (new) cui.

era and pc_piece are two completely different cad standards within our company. One is for our design drawings the other is for our fabrication drawings. They each have different search paths and default templates. This is why I was looking at doing the profiles. This is how we are currently set up in AutoCAD 2004. The profiles load "acad.mns and era.mns" or "acad.mns and pc_piece.mns". I wanted to include both as partial menus to the era_acad so I did not have to maintain two seperate AutoCAD cuis. Kinda like we are currently doing it. I was hoping that I could use workspaces to control the display of what cui info gets displayed. This was where I ran into my problem. My pc_piece profile was set to not display any era cui info. But it keeps displaying pull down menus only from the era cui and I can not get a new pull down menu in the pc_piece cui to hold. It keeps disappearing when I get back in to customize. Anyways I have been reading other post and have learned a lot since my last post. I have decided to use Profiles and have a separate enterprise cui for each profile. This should prevent users from working in a certain profile with the wrong workspace and fom using cui toolbars, menus, etc that they should not be using.

Hope this helps clarify a bit.
thanks for the replies