PDA

View Full Version : Drafting View Export

Jit
2004-04-09, 10:11 AM
Hi All

Happy Easter

Can I export drafting views across projects ?

Many thanks in advance

SkiSouth
2004-04-09, 12:10 PM
Not sure, but as a straight drafting view I think its no. Saw a workaround- if my brain is working - -to make the drafting view a group, save the group then place the detail in the current project. Noted in that was the fact you can't "preview" the detail when browsing in the directory as Revit does allow previewing of groups before placement.

Would love to know other work arounds.

aaronrumple
2004-04-09, 01:18 PM
Copy/Paste.

I have a Revit Project with standard details. Just open that and copy paste the ones you need.

Could also export to DWG and import the DWG into the new project.

JamesVan
2004-04-09, 07:16 PM
Or group the drafting elements and export the group to an RVG file.

Jit
2004-04-09, 09:25 PM
thanks guys

all options work well for me.

msmith.tsap
2006-01-21, 04:33 AM
Old thread but new to us guys just starting detail library in Revit. Have built a small library of details from Autocad into drafting views in a single file (StdDetails.rvt). Now I want to copy and past wanted details to new project file.

Appears that I have to create new drafting view in new project file, open drafting view in library file, highlight detail, copy and paste to new drafting view and then rename new view to appropriate name.

This seems really time consuming and slow. Am I missing something?

I tried copy and past from Project Browser, that does not work.

What am I doing wrong?

----------------------------------------
MarcTsap

janunson
2006-01-23, 05:59 PM
The whole exporting to group thing is a little more efficient, possibly. Then you can justimport the file and place the group instead of the whole cut-paste thing. For the cut-paste procedure... make a new drafting view in your project, open the drafting view in the detail project, select all copy, then switch to new project view and Past aligned... I don't think you can copy and paste views from the project browser, although that would make a good wish, i think.

Rols
2006-01-23, 07:25 PM
I would wait until Revit 9.0 comes out this spring. It MAY have just what you're looking for. ;-)
Until then, either copy/paste or export to group files.

mschroeder
2006-05-12, 05:44 PM
For the cut-paste procedure... make a new drafting view in your project, open the drafting view in the detail project, select all copy, then switch to new project view and Past aligned... I don't think you can copy and paste views from the project browser, although that would make a good wish, i think.

As you probably now know R9 can insert drafting views and sheets from other Revit projects. But you may not know that copy and paste of drafting views through the project browser also works.

Heitman Architects
2006-09-13, 03:57 PM
The View Insert Function (File -> Insert from File -> Views) works well. You are given a list of Views, Schedules, and Sheets to check/uncheck for insertion. As with importing anything else in Revit however, duplicate items will be ignored. For example, I inserted a view with a view title that differed from the one in the host file (with the same name) and it kept the host file view title. Minding naming convention will alleviate this problem...