PDA

View Full Version : Make Reveals not cut by inserts?

patricks
2006-02-06, 05:33 PM
I don't see an option for wall hosted reveals to not be cut by inserts. This is really annoying as I am trying to place a wall-hosted reveal in the middle of a wall, that just happens to be at the same height as some of the windows. I placed it higher on the wall to get a single reveal all the way across, and then pulled the end grips in to get it the correct length, and then moved it down into position. As soon it I moved it down, the reveal immediately went all the way across the wall again, with cuts and grips at every window. :banghead:

So what is there to do about it? I had to adjust all the little pieces into tiny segments that won't be visible when I print CD's.

What I would like to see for both sweeps and reveals is the option to either extend the whole length (or height) of the wall, or to specify a length BEFORE placing. Like radio buttons at the top when you're about to place it that say either Entire Wall or Length: with a text box. Guess I'll put that in the Wish List.

aaronrumple
2006-02-06, 05:40 PM
To solve your first issue:

Move the reveal up 1/32" - as long as it doesn't intersect - it won't be cut.

Or (Better in my opinion):

Edit the profile so the origin is in a different location. Revit uses the origin to determine if the sweep should be cut or not. If you have a sweep that will be placed at the top or bottom of openings, try using the vertical midpoint of the sweep as the origin.

patricks
2006-02-06, 06:14 PM
The reveal is at a height that is in the middle of the windows, so nudging it or changing the profile wouldn't help in this case. It would be nice if the reveal stayed the length that I set it to when I move it up or down.

kpaxton
2006-02-06, 08:29 PM
The reveal is at a height that is in the middle of the windows, so nudging it or changing the profile wouldn't help in this case. It would be nice if the reveal stayed the length that I set it to when I move it up or down.

I agree that nudging won't move it, but if you were to move the origin, then it would - the "cut-plane" of the profile is at the origin line. I had this same problem, so I made a profile that was offset from the origin (the base of the wall, in this example) and it wouldn't cut the profile. Most of the time, I do want things like banding and such to be cut by openings- windows, doors and such- so I'm a bit thrown off by your request and what you're trying to do.

Am I to assume this reveal is a the head of the windows? ((Seriously folks, a couple extra minutes to include a JPG to help us understand, would be most beneficial!))

Also, Have you thought of placing the reveal within the definition of the wall itself as a profile?

Kyle

patricks
2006-02-06, 08:58 PM
The reveal is in the middle of the wall, where there are no windows, and I only need the reveal to be about 20 ft. long. It is not adjacent to any windows directly. It just happens to be at a height above floor level that falls in the middle of some windows further down the wall. This is what makes it difficult because I only want a 20 ft. section of the reveal, but there are multiple pieces and grips further down the wall in between the windows that I don't need or want.

In the attached image, you can see the reveal over the door with the grips. You can also see the grips over the windows where I adjusted the other "pieces" of the reveal to be real short so they would be hidden in the elevation.

*edit* if I added the reveal to the wall type, I'm pretty sure it will still give me grips where it is cut by all the windows, when I only need it in the center 20 ft. portion of the wall. That's why I wanted to do it as a wall-hosted reveal, since it only occurs at this height in this one place.