PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Blocks Not Redefining

Rico
2006-02-06, 07:04 PM
When inserting an updated version of a dynamic block, the old block is not being properly redefined. Is there a setting or switch to make this updating work?

Basically,
I change something in one of my dynamic blocks - for example, i make it two lines instead of one.

It is asking if I want to redefine the block when I insert the new block into a CAD drawing which has an old version of the block in it.

I click "yes", I want to redefine it so I don't have to purge and delete all instances of the offending DB

it does NOT redefine. it stays as one line.

Can anyone please help me with this? What is at stake is the future of DB's in my company. They are my babies and I love every last ugly block I create and don't wanna see them in the out box.

Chris.N
2006-02-06, 07:29 PM
Rico, have you tried ATTSYNC and/or the 'sync' button in BATTMAN? my first instinct would be to erase the 2 offending lines and creat new, and re-add to all the fun actions they need to associate with.

Rico
2006-02-06, 07:44 PM
Rico, have you tried ATTSYNC and/or the 'sync' button in BATTMAN? my first instinct would be to erase the 2 offending lines and creat new, and re-add to all the fun actions they need to associate with.
I was just looking into those commands and, from what I can tell, they only apply to regular blocks but, more specifically, to blocks with attributes to be modified (i.e.: text)

i've never used those commands so I am not familiar with what can be done with them.

Although, having a command called "Battman" is freakin cool!

Chris.N
2006-02-06, 08:13 PM
I was just looking into those commands and, from what I can tell, they only apply to regular blocks but, more specifically, to blocks with attributes to be modified (i.e.: text)

i've never used those commands so I am not familiar with what can be done with them.

Although, having a command called "Battman" is freakin cool!i use the 'Battman' command a lot when going from prelim to cdoc with the plan room names (and others). i don't want to show the room num. and it's bounding box, so after inserting the block, i change the room # att. and the box to no-plot layers. and when all the revisions are done and we are in business for finals, i change them back to proper layers in BlockEditor, and then the way i get them all updated is with the 'sync' button in the Battman command.

Rico
2006-02-06, 08:22 PM
i use the 'Battman' command a lot when going from prelim to cdoc with the plan room names (and others). i don't want to show the room num. and it's bounding box, so after inserting the block, i change the room # att. and the box to no-plot layers. and when all the revisions are done and we are in business for finals, i change them back to proper layers in BlockEditor, and then the way i get them all updated is with the 'sync' button in the Battman command.
Yeah, I can see how that would be useful. But what about blocks where there are no attributes to be modified. For example, The table and Chairs. If I changed the look of the person(s) sitting at the table, how can I update that in another drawing without going through all the individual steps again?

Chris.N
2006-02-06, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I can see how that would be useful. But what about blocks where there are no attributes to be modified. For example, The table and Chairs. If I changed the look of the person(s) sitting at the table, how can I update that in another drawing without going through all the individual steps again?Rico, can you spell out what you are doing from breaking line, and finish with what is being said in command line after failed re-insertion? (F2, if you have command line 'off') currently, i'm at a loss if either of the othere commands don't work. i'd still give the Batt a try, regardless of attributes.

MikeM4OSU
2006-02-06, 08:36 PM
BATTMAN, will not work on blocks that do not have attributes, the blocks are not listed for sync. BATTMAN will not let you select a block that does not attributes. At least these are my conclusions.

Rico
2006-02-07, 03:28 PM
BATTMAN, will not work on blocks that do not have attributes, the blocks are not listed for sync. BATTMAN will not let you select a block that does not attributes. At least these are my conclusions.
this is also my understanding.

Rico
2006-02-07, 03:29 PM
this is also my understanding.
that being said, is there another way to be able to overwrite existing dynamic blocks upon insertion of an updated version?

blaine.67000
2006-02-07, 07:50 PM
I have had the same problem. Here is what I just did.

1. Started with a totally blank, fresh drawing from the acad.dwt template.

2. Inserted the "Section Callout" dynamic block from my tool pallet. (This block on the tool pallet is being called up from the "Annotation.dwg" drawing)

3. Clicked the insert icon.

4. Browsed to the "Annotation.dwg" drawing.

5. Selected the "Section Callout" dynamic block.

6. Clicked "OK"

7. I get the window that says

"Section Callout is already defined."
"2 Block references already exist in the drawing."
"Update the defintion and all of its block references?"

8. I click on yes.

9. On the command line I get this message:

_insert
Block Section Callout references itself
Regenerating model.
*Invalid*

:banghead: