PDA

View Full Version : Railing not sloping

Bim Man
2004-04-12, 08:01 PM
I am trying to place railing on a sloped wall beside my stairs. But all i get is a horiz. run of stairs. I have tried to set the host to my stairs and then draw the railing on the wall. I may be going at this the wrong way but i am not sure.

Thanks in advance.

MikeJarosz
2004-04-12, 09:28 PM
First of all, the stair must already be there for the railing to "follow" it. The step you are probably missing is "set host". You need to select the stair that you want the railing to follow. Set host does this.....

MikeJarosz
2004-04-12, 09:30 PM
Sorry, my last message got cut off. Make sure you always work in the UP direction when you pick points.

SkiSouth
2004-04-12, 10:21 PM
Are you placing a handrail on top of the sloping part of the wall or are you simply wanting a wall handrail that follows the stair along the wall?

Steve_Stafford
2004-04-13, 06:51 AM
Most likely your railing isn't "landing" on the stair...check the offset values for your railing "over the stair". Adjusting this value will make sure your railing isn't "outside" the boundary of the stair.

Also, placing this sort of railing in a 3D view is often very effective, to be sure you are actually selecting the top edge of the stringer as your host.

Bim Man
2004-04-14, 09:35 PM
I'M TRYING TO PLACE THE RAILING ON THE SLOPE OF THE WALL ALONG SIDE THE STAIR NOT ON THE STAIR ITSELF. SO THE RAILING IS OUTSIDE THE STAIR BOUNDRY. AND THATR IS WHERE MY PROBLEM IS I CAN GET THE RAILING ON THE STAIR ITSELF TO SLOPE BE WHEN I GO OUTSIDE IF THE STAIRS THE RAILING GOES HORIZ TO THE FLOOR.

IT IS AN INTERIOR RESIDENTIAL STAIRCASE SO YOU CAN HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT I MEAN.

SETTING THE HOST ALOOWS ME TO PICK THE STAIR AND THE RAILING RUNS SLOPED WITH THE STAIR. BUT NOT WHEN I PLACE THE RAILING OUTSIDE OF THE STAIR.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-04-15, 02:27 AM
SETTING THE HOST ALOOWS ME TO PICK THE STAIR AND THE RAILING RUNS SLOPED WITH THE STAIR. BUT NOT WHEN I PLACE THE RAILING OUTSIDE OF THE STAIR.

This is how railings behave. If you need the railing to follow the stair but "sit" outside of the stair boundries, you will have to make a new railing type, make sure it's sketch in one the stair boundry, and play with the offset parameters for the rails, balusters and posts. It works, I've done it before. :)

SkiSouth
2004-04-15, 03:00 AM
You are yelling. Sorry, just want to be clear. I've not had problems with the wall handrail along a residential or commercial stair. I assume that you want a rail either round or in a standard cross section.

Look on the attached project file. Are either of these what you are trying to do? If so just transfer the families to your project. Should help some..

Bim Man
2004-04-19, 06:07 PM
Sorry, not yelling, i just left my cap lock on. I get that all the time.
I'm drawing mode so much I sometimes forget to turn it off.

Well I have made a quick representation of what I'm trying to do. The railing and balusters need to go along the top of the sloped wall and die into the vertical wall. then from there a wall mounted rail the rest of the way upstairs, which is no problem, just the sloped wall is giving me the trouble

SkiSouth
2004-04-19, 09:04 PM
see the attached got to run right now - Will post rfa later if can get my upload quota cleared...You can also build this in place and copy it across to the other side, save it as a group, etc. Probably quicker for you to do that on a one time project...oops screwed up - I built this as a project not a family. Oh well - that 's what you get when you're in a hurry :lol:

See aaron's solution - its better

aaronrumple
2004-04-19, 09:16 PM
Here is a simple solution:

I used a thin sloping floor slab as a cap on top of the wall. I could then attach the wall to the underside of the floor and then use the railing tool on top of the 'floor' as the host.

Bim Man
2004-04-20, 12:22 PM
Aaron,

I took your idea and ran with it. Take a look. What i did was made a floor 3/4" thick to represent a 1x piece for my cap board and just as you did set the floor as the host and all went great.

Thanks to everybody for your help.

Pete