PDA

View Full Version : Exporting 3d views problem

dandan_2
2006-02-07, 03:21 PM
Long time lurker here, first time posting.

We have an issue exporting 3d views from Revit 8.1or Revit Structure 2.

With a network deployment and a network license server:
If I try to export out a 3d view Revit, will do it, but it takes 30 -60 min.!
2d views or sheets will export out in 10 seconds.
This is true with any build of Building 8.1 (have tried 3) or Structure 2
Borrowing a License has no effect.
During this time Revit is listed as “Not Responding” in Windows Task Manager.

With the same builds of Revit installed locally:
3d views export out in 10-15 seconds.

Coping the Revit file to our desktop does not make a difference.

We are running 9.22 or the Autodesk License Server. (Shipped with 2005 products)
I know there is a newer version, but would like to wait till after hours to update.

I also noticed that running the Revit Benchmark posted here has long pauses when installed with a network license, but not when installed locally.

Any help or ideas would be great,
Dan

Steve_Stafford
2006-02-07, 03:25 PM
I recall a recent post suggesting disconnecting from the network will improve this. I don't remember if a reason was given for the behaviour but you could try it to see if it helps in your instance as well?

dandan_2
2006-02-07, 03:44 PM
You are correct, if I un-plug the network cable from my computer, I can export out just fine.

But this is not a long term solution, saving the file to my c: drive and then crawling under my desk every time I need to export out a 3d view for our MAX user.

Does anyone know if the newer license server will fix this?

Thanks,
Dan

sbrown
2006-02-07, 04:45 PM
This is currently just how it is, accurender searches for the materials on export, thinking you are planning to use the export in a rendering to attache the x data, this takes forever over a network for somereason it searches and searches for each material. So the only solution I know of is to disconnect.

dandan_2
2006-02-07, 05:00 PM
Thanks Scott,

I will leave a local install of Revit on an open workstation. This will at least get me through the next 30 days.

Dan

hand471037
2006-02-07, 05:34 PM
This is currently just how it is, accurender searches for the materials on export, thinking you are planning to use the export in a rendering to attache the x data, this takes forever over a network for somereason it searches and searches for each material. So the only solution I know of is to disconnect.

To get around this issue, we're putting the Revit Accurender Binary folder (the AccuWhatever one) on the client, and everything else on the Server. Seems to work. I don't know if it's the materials that hang it up, for it seems to work fine if there's materials in the Project that live in a library that's on the server. But it sure doesn't work fine if the Accurender package itself is...

dandan_2
2006-02-07, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the idea,

It looks like this did work, as it only takes about 20 seconds now to export the view.
But during this time Revit cranks on the hard drive.

Still interesting that the local installed copy does not do this.

Thanks again for the help!
Dan

sbrown
2006-02-07, 07:30 PM
To get around this issue, we're putting the Revit Accurender Binary folder (the AccuWhatever one) on the client, and everything else on the Server. Seems to work. I don't know if it's the materials that hang it up, for it seems to work fine if there's materials in the Project that live in a library that's on the server. But it sure doesn't work fine if the Accurender package itself is...

thats great, thanks for the tip. So its the accurender support folder, so you put that on each local machine? Kind of a pain for the network install process. So can the .mlib files be on the server?

hand471037
2006-02-07, 08:03 PM
thats great, thanks for the tip. So its the accurender support folder, so you put that on each local machine? Kind of a pain for the network install process. So can the .mlib files be on the server?

It's a pain. We're figuring out how to deal with it easy. One place I know uses an second script, run after the network .msi package is run, that then edits the revit.ini to path to the local and copies the accurender support folder over to the local machine.

We're looking at using a better tool than the .msi package to 'push' Revit out to all the clients instead, no word yet if it solves this issue. What I'm doing is keeping fingers crossed that it will be FIXED BY AUTODESK when 9 comes out, making our lives nice and easy.

As for the .mlib's, its looked like so far there isn't an issue for them to be on a remote machine, but I don't know if the 'base' ones that are in Accurender to begin with need to be local. I'm assuming that just the binary has to be local, and the .mlib's not, but I haven't fully tested that assumption and could very well be wrong.

tonyisenhoff
2006-02-07, 10:05 PM
Welcome aboard Dan!

Tony Isenhoff
MasterGraphics, Inc.

dandan_2
2006-02-08, 01:44 PM
Thanks Tony, It was time to get my feet wet here. I will see you next week.

After doing this "fix" on all of computers yesterday, they all responded the same. This should be fine, for we don't export out 3d views that often.

Thanks again Scott and Jeffrey!
Dan

cparsons
2006-02-08, 05:05 PM
We do exactly what Jeffrey suggested. We run a batch file that copies the msi, our custom revit.ini file, and all the content locally. We use MSI packaging software for 95% of our software installations but a couple applications, most notably revit and arcobat pro, just won't work.

I have attached a text version of the batch file and a read me. Feel free to use what you need.

Chris

Alvin_Alejandro
2006-02-09, 01:20 AM
Jeff & cparsons

thanks..