PDA

View Full Version : Need help debugging a family

adegnan
2004-04-12, 10:07 PM
Hello. Here is what is going on.

I am refining all the Andersen window families to encompass all the single, double, triple, and quadruple window sizes-- a lot of them are missing as created and supplied on the Revit content site. :D

I am up to creating the quadruple mulled units now. I've taken a triple-mulled unit and re-worked the ref planes and EQ dims etc to work with a quadruple-mulled unit. Everything flexes with the family sizes until THIS POINT!! :shock:

Please open this family and try flexing it to another size. It gives an error saying that one of the family sweeps cannot be created! (It is the vertical inside window stop.) Everything flexes until the moment that I add the window stops at the center of the window.

Any advice?? I had taken this window family quite a bit farther, (foolishly :roll: ) without testing the flexing. Then it failed. :evil: So I've been re-working step-by-step to find out at what point the flex fails. I've tried several different methods of creating this sweep (based on the original method that was used in creating the Andersen window itself) and maybe I need to try something new, if you guys can give me a suggestion.

MUCH APPRECIATED!

PS, I'm pretty happy with the thorough improvements I've made so far. I've made the grilles with a wood interior to match the stops and the white exterior to match the exterior window (before interior showed as white, also). I've added casing to all the windows. I've created a bunch of sizes that were missing in the double- and triple-mulled windows and modified the grilles on the CXW series to match up correctly (which is new to the double- and triple-mulled units).

So I want to get the quad units set up and then I'm prepared to SHARE all of them...

Thanks!

Note: I removed the attachment, see my new post 4/16.

gregcashen
2004-04-12, 10:21 PM
I wish I'd had these a month ago...:(

I'll take a look though.

adegnan
2004-04-13, 11:39 AM
Meanwhile I finally feel like I am becoming knowledgable with the Family Editor. Not yet Proficient, mind you, but at least comfortable!

My next step is to modify the door families so that all the sizes are pre-defined correctly for me, and to ensure that the styles match up... no more mixing and matching 4-panel bifolds with 6-panel... time to get my templates fine tuned and ready to render any project...

IOW, finally use Revit the way it was made to be used!

GC, if you want these families I can post them on RUGI sooner rather than later. Let me know. I'd like to email one or two of them to someone for double-checking in case I missed anything before I re-distribute them.

adegnan
2004-04-13, 10:11 PM
I think I have modified the family to work.

I got rid of the original inside window stop sweep that was creating the problem.

I created two profile families instead of a sketch. One of a single inside stop, one of a double inside stop mirrored across a mull

I had to create 5 different sweeps. One for the left outside stop. One for the left mull stops (double). One for the center mull stops (double). One for the right mull stops (double). One for the right outside stop.

So it uses simple profiles, that is an advantage compared to the old way. Disadvantage is it requires 5 sweeps to create the same thing that was done with one sweep before.

Now, the BIG QUESTION THAT REMAINS IS: why did the sketched sweep method work with the original triple-mull families that were provided with the Revit content? And what caused this method to fail when modifying the families to work for a quad-mulled window?

I think that by using the profile families I am using better “method” than using the sketches. Maybe. You guys tell me??

It is a start at least. I have quite a bit of work remaining on these quad-mulled windows to finish them, but at least now that I trouble-shot this aspect, I think I can figure out how to trouble-shoot any other issues that arise. THE BIG QUESTION STILL REMAINS if anyone can help me!!!

adegnan
2004-04-16, 12:01 PM
OK, I had to delete sweeps in several different instances in the family and re-do them in different ways. See last post for partial info.

Here is the finished family. Now, I still need to make the taller window sizes to finish it, and then make the quad-mulled CXW sizes (if I want to) and then also consider doing picture windows and awnings, etc...

And also double-hungs!

But if anyone wants to check out this family and let me know if you find any flaws, that would be great. When I finish the taller quad-mulled windows I'll post on RUGI, hopefully after someone else checks them for me.

One other question (if anyone feels like answering) is there any way to change the casing profile parametrically without having to create a different family? IE, this family has craftsman trim. How can I make the families able to select between craftsman and colonial without needing to create a separate family file for each of them?

THX.