PDA

View Full Version : circular stair problem

Kaotik
2006-02-08, 02:24 AM
I need to show an existing circular stair that has about 3 steps overlapping from beginning to end. From messing with it im assuming you cant do more than a 360 degree stair so that the start of the stair cannot rotate over the top of the stair. If thats the case then i just have to make two stairs- (the bottom half and the top half.) my new problem is that i cant make the bottom of the second stair match up with the top of the first stair, or even get the railing and stringers to look like they connect to make it all look like one stair. Can someone show me how to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated

Sincerely,
Brian Andresen

p.s.-Thanks ahead of time for your time!

kpaxton
2006-02-08, 02:41 AM
You are absolutely correct - you cannot have overlapping lines for the construction of the stairs, so you will need to create two stairs. One of the drawbacks of the stair tool (at the moment).

As to your dilemma- You should be able to determine the level (from an elevation) of the top tread of your stair. In this elevation, try placing a Reference Plane, and give it a name. Drawing the second stair over the place of the first stair, you should be able to draw the starting riser so it lines up with the old one. Make sure when you start the new stair, you use the new named plane as your starting elevation/level - and draw from there.

If you're still having difficulty, please post an 3d view JPG of what you're experiencing.

Thanks & Good Luck,
Kyle

patricks
2006-02-08, 04:23 AM
I've always had problems with Revit generating major errors when trying to work with railings up multiple spiral stairways stacked on top of one another. It's like it didn't want to do any railing type other than the default type.

Kaotik
2006-02-08, 09:59 PM
Well, I appreciate the help so far and i have attached some images to show how far i can get. I end up stuck with the stringers not matching up (i get a flat spot for the bottom of the top stringer, and if i line the steps up to match, then the stringers or railings dont line up) and once i make a circular stair. thats it---if i want to edit anything on that stair i have to erase it and create a new one. Is that how its done? or am i doing something wrong? but thats another thread, haha! anyways, i hope these pics show what im trying to do and i hope someone can help me get it to look a little better than this.

thanks again,
Brian Andresen

Scott D Davis
2006-02-09, 12:50 AM
to get rid of the flat spot at the bottom of the stringer, use a negative number value in the "Extend Below Base" parameter in the Type Properties of the stair.

Drafting Stooge
2006-02-09, 11:59 AM
Also worth visiting is Bruce Gow's blog 'Revit-alize' at;

http://revit-alize.blogspot.com/2005/11/stairway-to-heaven.html

Bruce has some very handy hints and step-by-step tips to setting up circular stairs.
Definitely worth a look.