PDA

View Full Version : Help I cant find a job using Revit

jess1917
2004-04-13, 07:48 PM
I learned ADT 3.3 from a small comm. college in Iowa. The next semester I also learned Revit. I loved revit, but when i graduated the only companies hiring use Autocad. I tried to get the Builder that I work for to switch over, but even with all its capabilities their stuck on Autocad. It really ticks me off because i know revit is so great. What do you people think

aaronrumple
2004-04-13, 07:55 PM
Do the project in Revit and give him the DWG files....
<Keep the Revit model yourself so when he want's a fast change - he can't do without you...>

gregcashen
2004-04-13, 08:12 PM
Do the project in Revit and give him the DWG files....
<Keep the Revit model yourself so when he want's a fast change - he can't do without you...>

That's an interesting idea. But I wonder if it violates the work-product rules that most companies try to force their employees to agree to in the employment contract nowadays. I know that the company I worked for in San Francisco had a policy that any technology developed by employees was considered work-product of the company and was therefore "owned" by them. I think this was the case when I was at one of the Big 5 consulting companies too. But at least they would allow you to write a business plan to market the service, product, whatever and then you could start up a new line of business within the company. Those are much bigger companies, but I suspect that even a small company could claim that since the model was produced on company time with (presumably) company equpiment, then it is work product.

Still...very interesting idea. How would he, as a recent graduate, afford to buy Revit? Does he offer to have the cost discounted from his salary and then use the leverage of being the only one who knows how to use Revit to ensure job security? Essentially, that is trading a bit of income for higher job security...is that a worthwhile idea? I am just trying to see if there is a real opportunity here to introduce Revit to new fimrs without the high up-front costs and also to get skilled graduates in the market.

I remember there was a thread back in the old newsgroup days re what should come first...Revit curriculum or Revit jobs. It's a tough one. We'll just have to wait and see...

rhys
2004-04-14, 08:01 AM
Move to the UK perhaps we'd hire you :D

PeterJ
2004-04-14, 08:12 AM
Indeed

AbigayleAEC
2004-04-15, 12:20 AM
Call the local Autodesk resellers. Tell them you are looking for a job with a Revit firm. They must have sold some Revit licenses in the last year to local firms. Forward your resume on to the reseller to give to their clients, and ask them of firms using Revit. Companies that have already adopted Revit are looking for trained Revit users, they are happy to save the cost of training you!

Speaking as a Revit reseller in California, I think my Revit customers would love it if I found they trained Revit users for hire!

tjk0225
2004-04-15, 01:29 AM
That works - the last guy we hired contacted us through our reseller. Its not what you know - its who you know.

What about the instructors that you had? Can they put you in touch wth firms using Revit in your area?

Steve_Stafford
2004-04-15, 05:36 AM
WHO you know may "get" you the job...WHAT you know "keeps" it... :wink:

jess1917
2004-04-15, 03:57 PM
Speaking as a Revit reseller in California, I think my Revit customers would love it if I found they trained Revit users for hire

Maybe you could drop me a line and let me know of any revit users in the orange county area. My email is jmickledesign@aol.com