PDA

View Full Version : Import old MNU files into new CUI

bradd
2006-02-08, 09:47 PM
I've just updated to AutoCAD 2006 and it appears they have changed the old .mnu file to a complied .cui format. We have done a TON of customization to our interface and I don't want to loose it.

Anyone have a reference of how where I can figure out how to convert?

Please forgive me if this is a repetitive topic, I tried to search for previous threads to no avail.

Wanderer
2006-02-08, 09:50 PM
I've just updated to AutoCAD 2006 and it appears they have changed the old .mnu file to a complied .cui format. We have done a TON of customization to our interface and I don't want to loose it.

Please forgive me if this is a repetitive topic, I tried to search for previous threads to no avail.bradd, I'm going to move this from the AutoLISP forum to this one, as it will be better served here, thanks.

Opie
2006-02-08, 09:50 PM
The CUI file format is an XML based format. It is readable within notepad or most other text readers. You MN* files should convert to the CUI format with little effort to you.

Mike.Perry
2006-02-08, 11:46 PM
Hi

Try the following threads...

AutoCAD 2005 MNU and MNS into 2006 (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=17113)

can't load custom pulldown menu (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=32506)

Notes on the philosophy of CUI (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18955)

CUI and workspace videos from Autodesk (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=19301)

Plus, browse, search (http://forums.augi.com/search.php?) this forum ( AutoCAD 2006 CUI Menus (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=209) ), you should find lots more helpful / useful information...

Have a good one, Mike

RobertB
2006-02-09, 03:11 AM
A .mnu/.mns will convert to a .cui file automatically when you load the menu using any of the menu commands (Menu/MenuLoad/CUILoad).

rkmcswain
2006-02-09, 01:07 PM

Not a problem. If you have both .MNU and .MNS files, it has been said that the .MNS files import with fewer problems. However, if the menu syntax is correct, either should import fine.

Hopefully your "ton of customization" wasn't done on the stock "ACAD.MN?" files... If so, spend the time now to get your customization out of the stock menus and into your own menu file.

Use the MENULOAD command to load your "bradd.mnu" file. It will be converted to the .CUI format and loaded as a partial menu. This is easiest way, but depending on your ultimate goal - you may want to consider other methods - follow the trail of links posted elsewhere in this thread for hours of reading on ideas and methods of others.

bradd
2006-02-17, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the replys but I screwed something up. Menuload will not load anything - stays blank and the base profile dissapeared so now all I have is the File,view,window,and help pull downs.

BTW where would the new CUI file export to if I menuload my .mns file?

It is a separate menu, don't use the base acad.mnu file, it has been totally re-written. We have over 4,000 custom lisp routines we have written over the years that are all integrated into our menu. Most of this was not integrated correctly so I've got some work to do.

Opie
2006-02-17, 02:29 AM
Yes you do have a lot of work to do to cut out your customization from the old menus.

You should be able to retrieve a copy of the original acad.CUI file that shipped OOTB. Have a look at this folder.

C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2006\UserDataCache\Support\

HTH

bradd
2006-02-21, 04:53 PM
OK - excellent input so far. Retrieved the original CUI file. No I've done the Menu load and loaded our new compiled "office".cui, acad.cui, adt.cui, and express.cui - just like I did in 2002. When I open the Customize user interface and try to create a "custom".cui file and I pull in Menus and tool bars into the custom.cui file (as autocadd help assures me I can) I have these new problems.
1) When I combine Menu pull downs from different CUI files the CUI interface allows you to organize them, but when I exit the CUI the menu pull downs are not in the order I've set.
2) The tool bars come in as clouds - I'm assuming this is because it can't map to the .dll or .bmp files for the button icons - In the previous version I located all the bitmaps in one "icon" folder and added the path in the Support file search path in the Options dialog - this does not work anymore - any ideas?
3) I've converted my old "office".mns file to a .cui, but unlike what the advice indicates - none of the commands off the menu work. I'm assuming its an issue with loading the lisp files. Everything is pathed the same as previous version. Is there a new way to load lisps? Does the .lsp file not work? Is everything based off the .cui file?
4) - Also my screen menu either comes in blank, is 1/2 way down the screen, or comes in with the base autocad sidebar above it and my menu below it - both loaded. The CUI does not seem to address anything on the sidebar to turn it on or off, or edit it?
Sorry for the ignorance and thanks in advance for everyones help. Someday I hope I'll be able to return some of the advice.

rkmcswain
2006-02-21, 07:21 PM
1) When I combine Menu pull downs from different CUI files the CUI interface allows you to organize them, but when I exit the CUI the menu pull downs are not in the order I've set.

Pull-down menu "order" is saved on a "per-workspace" basis. Are you editing the same workspace that you are viewing after you exit?

2) The tool bars come in as clouds - I'm assuming this is because it can't map to the .dll or .bmp files for the button icons - In the previous version I located all the bitmaps in one "icon" folder and added the path in the Support file search path in the Options dialog - this does not work anymore - any ideas?

Sure it does. That's how we have it set up here.

3) I've converted my old "office".mns file to a .cui, but unlike what the advice indicates - none of the commands off the menu work. I'm assuming its an issue with loading the lisp files. Everything is pathed the same as previous version. Is there a new way to load lisps? Does the .lsp file not work? Is everything based off the .cui file?

Where is your lisp code? Put it in the "office.mnl" file. This will autoload whenever "office.cui" is loaded.

4) - Also my screen menu either comes in blank, is 1/2 way down the screen, or comes in with the base autocad sidebar above it and my menu below it - both loaded. The CUI does not seem to address anything on the sidebar to turn it on or off, or edit it?

2006 HELP says Note: Future releases of the product will not support screen menus. Now is the time to get rid of this.
For now, see: http://support.autodesk.com/Getdoc.asp?ID=TS1052001