PDA

View Full Version : Network Deployment and Content.

bimologist
2006-02-08, 10:00 PM
I have successfully created the network deployment, first we decided to do Network location for content , then we decided against it as more and more users are getting laptops, so I created a new deployment and let the directories be the default C locations. i.e. in the All Users. we are using this OTB and that is how I want it setup. wE do have our own directories on the network drive but that gets copied and synced to the C: drive for laptop users.

Since Revit creates a new MSI with the install everything is hardcoded in the MSI file. The nice thing is that all the license server info and serial number everything gets installed. My biggest problem is that it creates the INI file correctly too, and point to ALLUSER directory BUT DOES NOT COPY ANY CONTENT that it OTB. if I do not create a network deployment , it downloads files from the internet and I have to plug in the serial number and everything manually.

Short of XCOPYING The OTB content from the SERVER to the LOCAL %ALLUSERPROFILE%\Autodesk\Revit Building 8.1\ how can I force the network installer to install OTB content locally on each machine. I do not mind creating install scripts as I can plug into the VBS file it creates for the install, but I am trying to aviod XCOPY.

thanks

cparsons
2006-02-09, 06:16 AM
just posted on this thread this morning...

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=278162#post278162

and yes...xcopy is the way to go IMHO...

m.augi
2006-02-09, 12:15 PM
just posted on this thread this morning...

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=278162#post278162

and yes...xcopy is the way to go IMHO...

Thanks for the information. I know it is not the best solution, but I will take it. The program should be able to do that by defauly in my opinion. They should also come up with a better patching program too.

I will wrap the setup around Innosetup and call xcopy to achieve the results. BTW XCOPY is a great SYNC tool too.

XCOPY /d does a time compare. I use that for the server local sync at boot time.
Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
If no date is given, copies only those files whose
source time is newer than the destination time.

Scott D Davis
2006-02-09, 05:06 PM
Many of Revit's default locations need to be changed. Too much gets put into Program Files\Revit\Program folder, such as Keyboard Shortcuts, the 'file paths' that can be user defined for the Open dialog biox, etc.

Our office IT does not allow users to have rights to anything in the Program Files directory, so no one can have thier own keyboard shortcuts or project shortcuts.

These things need to be saved into a users profile instead.

bimologist
2006-02-09, 06:44 PM
Many of Revit's default locations need to be changed. Too much gets put into Program Files\Revit\Program folder, such as Keyboard Shortcuts, the 'file paths' that can be user defined for the Open dialog biox, etc.

Our office IT does not allow users to have rights to anything in the Program Files directory, so no one can have thier own keyboard shortcuts or project shortcuts.

These things need to be saved into a users profile instead.
Thanks for your heads up on the customizations. I guess there is major surgery needed to revit.ini after the install.

Also I got the word from the the Adesk Sub Support that I have to create a new deployment, and set the local as the install dir for content. It asks me that network is better , do you still want local I say yes. I have not tested this yet.

Then the issue is how do you rediret the keyboard shortcuts, I do not see a ini entry for it. or is it where ever it finds that file? so I delete the one in prog files, and copy it to the
C:\Usercustom\Revit Directory and that directory is listed under User Files which in ini is
ProjectPath=C:\UserCustom\Revit

thanks

Simon.Whitbread
2006-02-09, 07:09 PM
Then the issue is how do you rediret the keyboard shortcuts, I do not see a ini entry for it. or is it where ever it finds that file? so I delete the one in prog files, and copy it to the
C:UsercustomRevit Directory and that directory is listed under User Files which in ini is
ProjectPath=C:UserCustomRevit
I made a post HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=33333) but didn't mention that the 'Revit.ini' and 'KeyboardShortcuts.txt' files that are centralised are edited and maintained by the CAD Manager (me). Also, following on from Scott's post, we do not allow access to the Program Files folder.
As we are also in a learning stage (9 months in and not everyone using Revit yet). Its much easier to manage the shortcuts so everyone is then talking the same language.

bimologist
2006-02-10, 10:46 PM
Well the problem I found out is that the generated MSI file contains a file that Revit uses to install content. This is generated on the FLY when you select which libraries to install, well if you select some for network deployment and this file is generated. Even though you specify a local path , it installs the content locally and registers in that file that the content has been installed locally. Well it has been installed locally for the machine that is creating the deployment, but not for the one that is later installing the deployment. The interesting thing is that the HELP file does not get flagged by the routine that it has installed it.
In any case using some unkosher techniques THe MSI installer installs all the content locally tutorial and all. I just wish they improve the installer a bit so content is available offline.

no monkeying around with the ini file etc.

Tough I would like to know how to relocate the keyboard shortcuts file ? do you just delete the one in the program dir and put on int the user dir and it reads it from there.? I am for letting the user dictate what shortcuts he wants to use, its his productivity.

Simon.Whitbread
2006-02-12, 07:50 PM
...I would like to know how to relocate the keyboard shortcuts file ? do you just delete the one in the program dir and put on int the user dir and it reads it from there.? I am for letting the user dictate what shortcuts he wants to use, its his productivity.
Currently, you can't.
Its a great item for wishlist - profiles like Autocad
In terms of productivity, if you are starting 70+ people on a new programme, its easier to give them all the same shortcuts and not allow them to change. If the install had more function like the AutoCAD one, this wouldn't be an issue.