PDA

View Full Version : Copying Curtainwalls

Rols
2006-02-09, 10:34 PM
What's the best way to replicate curtainwalls?
We're working on a modernistic loft building that has large curtainwalls. We're trying to copy these things around the building, but we're having trouble selecting them.
Should I create a custom window or use groups instead??

bcowles
2006-02-09, 11:13 PM
be sure you are selecting the entire curtain wall and not just a small part of it (panel, grid, mullion).
Try holding the cursor over the edge of the wall and use TAB to filter through the available objects. You will know you are selecting the entire wall when you get a grid of green dashed lines to appear as you are selecting (much the same as selecting a beam system).

Rols
2006-02-10, 02:23 PM
Thanks for that. I guess I'm after the bigger picture.
If a "curtainwall" repeats around the building, is it wiser to create a custom window instead?

sbrown
2006-02-10, 05:05 PM
How big, if its really a storefront door with a transom and sidelites, thats best as a door family. If its a true "curtain wall" then its a curtain wall and it should be easy to copy the wall and all its grids, mullions come with it when you just pick the wall, don't try to pick all the pieces.

mcloer
2006-02-10, 08:35 PM
If there are more than 5 or so my vote would be for a custom family.

Scott D Davis
2006-02-10, 09:25 PM
One way might be to Group the Curtain wall, and copy the group all around the model. Editing one curtainwall group will change all of them in the model.