PDA

View Full Version : PRECAST STEPS WITH RAILING

barathd
2006-02-10, 04:08 PM
Sure I'm missing the obvious. What I want to do is add a railing to a precast step (in place family). I can not get the railing to slope to the in place family. What am I missing?

Thank you

Regards

Dick Barath

barathd
2006-02-10, 04:36 PM
Here is an attachment showing my dilema.

Regards

Dick Barth

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-02-10, 06:22 PM
Dick,

your stair is created as a generic model and that's why it can't host the railing. Try recreating the stair as a monlithic stair and you can then set it as the host.

barathd
2006-02-10, 06:36 PM
Dick,

your stair is created as a generic model and that's why it can't host the railing. Try recreating the stair as a monlithic stair and you can then set it as the host.

Dimitri:

I realize this. My problem is that I want the stair closed in.

Paul Monsef
2006-02-10, 08:07 PM
Dimitri:

I realize this. My problem is that I want the stair closed in.
You could create two stairs, one in place as you have and another to host the railing.

EDIT... Opps, here's the file!

Nevine
2006-02-10, 08:17 PM
monolitic stairs will give you closed stairs. See attached image.

barathd
2006-02-10, 08:19 PM
Paul:

Take it you've been here - very clever.

Thank you.

Dick Barath

barathd
2006-02-10, 08:20 PM
monolitic stairs will give you closed stairs. See attached image.

This is not what I refer to as closed - look at my attachment or Paul's.

Regards

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-02-10, 11:38 PM
Very clever Paul.

Melarch
2006-02-12, 01:25 PM
Try this as a solution. I have attached a stair to look like the one you want to display. It is comprised of a normal monolithic stair to handle the railing hosts + a create in place stir to fill in the bottom. The trick is to use the Linework tool with the invisible line style to get rid of the connection lines between the monolithic stair and the create in place elements. The linework tool has to be used in every view that the stair is displayed or placed on a sheet.

Mel Persin, AIA

barathd
2006-02-12, 05:40 PM
Mel:

Works fine - I believe I accomplished the same thing with walls as well in the manner you described. Damn upsetting that the simplest of things are ignored in light of the whimsical and ridiculous - if R9 is about fixes - could a simple step family be to much to hope for - probably. Thanks for the file.

Regards

Dick Barath

SCShell
2006-02-13, 02:34 PM
Hey there,
I am not on my office computer, so I can't open your file; however, if I understand your question, maybe this approach may work.
Use the standard stair method to create this look, only without the center stringer if you don't want it.

Just guessing at this point since I had this stair.
Good Luck
Steve

tarch
2006-02-13, 05:04 PM
Where are meeting room chairs coming from?

bpayne
2006-02-13, 05:30 PM
Question? Would it actually be built this way? I'm guessing not...

Either way you could....
1. Create the shape using stair w/ 8" concrete walls at perimeter
2. Create the stair and then "trace" over it, leaving the stair burried within the in-place family in order to host the rails.