PDA

View Full Version : Migrating ADT/AutoCAD content to Revit...

FWSchreck
2006-02-10, 11:45 PM
Hello:

Are there any firms marketing/developing utilities to convert AutoCAD drawings and ADT AEC Objects/MV Block content into Revit families?

I'd like to be able to convert our legacy material into Revit format, but w/o a suite of conversion tools, it will take far too long and cost too much.

sbrown
2006-02-11, 12:12 AM
Since revit is not based on the autocad platform I think you won't see any such tools. You will need to create your own content for the next few years.

fernando
2006-02-11, 12:43 AM
more than a matter of time, converting legacy from Acad to Revit, it is not a straight think
a 2d detail could bet converted in a quick and simple way, but the essence of drawing in Revit, is a complete different way to get to the final result, don't forget that even in 2d details you could use parametric elements that gave another way of working completely different from the Acad way, so it is not a matter of converting content, but a matter of drawing a new one, with all the advantages that Revit give to you.
My half Euro

kpaxton
2006-02-13, 02:42 PM
I'd like to be able to convert our legacy material into Revit format, but w/o a suite of conversion tools, it will take far too long and cost too much.
Fred,

Interestingly enough, we are seeing a portion of history repeating itself. This is not unlike what we had to go through when CAD first appeared. We had all of these details and designs done by hand, on mylar or paper. Then we had to 'recreate' them inside the computer in order to use them. The theory was that now, since it was inside the computer, we didn't have to redraw them - how many times have we heard that!

Currently there isn't a method to quickly convert these Legacy files that we now have and accumulated over the past 20 years. Some may say this is a good thing. Don't get me wrong - I do feel your pain and wish there was something that would at least do some of the work for me. Fernando is correct as this is going to only pertain to the 2D elements and drawings. It would be too complicated and unwieldy to try and ask for a 2-dimensional representation to be automatically converted to the three dimensional world of Revit.

Is it worth your time? This is the question that everyone has to ask as they're implementing a new program. My opinion is yes. If you sit and plan out how you're going to tackle what you need to do (vs. what you'd like to do), you can make it work in your favor. There are methods available currently to use existing Autocad details within Revit - until you set aside the time to recreate/convert them into your new Revit Library.

If you have someone trained properly to use the Family Editor- and they become proficient in it - they could potentially create or modify your catalogue of existing 'blocks' elements in a good week. (note - I'm pulling this time frame out of my a....) But I am trying to make a point. One of the key elements to Revit is that as one becomes more familiar with the Family Editor, the ability to create something you need, on the fly, becomes invaluable. And easy.

Is there a steeper path on this bell-curve? Yes. But once you pass those hurdles, it will then be downhill from there. What I'm trying to say is this - don't become dissuaded because of a perceived roadblock.

Once you get to the top of the mountain, you can have a beautiful view.

-Kyle

Danny Polkinhorn
2006-02-14, 01:15 AM
Fred,

Welcome to Revit. I know you're a heavy ADT user so I wish you luck.

Unfortunately, as others have stated, converting MV Blocks to Revit Families isn't possible. I would say that you would probably want to recreate most of your MVBlocks anyway as Kyle mentioned.

For example, there's a bunch of File Cabinet mvblocks that come with ADT. With a Revit family, those can be recreated as one family using the parameters available in families to handle the different sizes. These parameters aren't available in MVBlocks so multiple blocks were needed. When I first started creating families I quickly realized how much time (and file storage) I had wasted creating multiple sized MVBlocks of the same thing in ADT.

Also, some of the modifications you may have made with display reps in your mvblocks will be lost anyway because the display system in Revit is different.

I would concentrate on learning the family editor as best as you can and bring over your old components as you need them as references in your families. Trace over them and parameterize them. If you went to AU or if you're a subscriber, go to AUOnline and download the courseware for "BD21-1L : AutodeskĀ® RevitĀ® Building Family Editor - From the Beginning" and you'll see how to create one door family that will handle just about every door situation you'll need. It's a great example of the power of the family editor.

Hope that helps,