PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical walls

Willem Ackerman
2004-04-15, 01:22 PM
How do you draw a wall to snap on a elipse that is drawn with the lines>ellipse command? It does not allow you to snap between the quadrants.

aggockel50321
2004-04-15, 02:42 PM
I don't think that's possible with the wall command.

I think you have two choices.

1.) Use the wall command, and construct the ellipse by using the 3 point arc option, & snapping along the ellipse. If you do a little research, somewhere there's a Revit white paper on how to construct an ellipse with a series of arcs. Your other choice (as i did in attached pdf) is to guesstimate the points & then mirror the arcs.

2.) If you need more accuracy, create an in-place wall family, create a solid using the sweep command, pick a sweep path on your ellipse line, & construct the wall profile. When inserting doors & windows use a 3d view, as they don't seem to find the "wall" in a plan view.

Wes Macaulay
2004-04-15, 03:15 PM
You can do exactly what you want. The wall itself can follow an elliptical path, and yes it can follow an ellipse drawn using the lines tool.

On the Design Bar (the far left menu bar) and in Modelling drawer, choose "Create". Choose Walls for the category, and give this object a name (like "Elliptical Walls").

Choose "Solid..." from the Design Bar, and choose "Sweep". Click "Pick Path" and choose the ellipse, then click "Finish Path". Click "Sketch Profile" to draw the cross-sectional profile of the wall. Finish the sweep, finish the family, and voila - you're done.

You have to be using release 6.1 however -- elliptical sweeping was just added -- just for me in fact, until you came along. :D