PDA

View Full Version : Linked DWG file not following settings in visibility

DoTheBIM
2006-02-13, 10:39 PM
We just got Revit Series about a month and a half ago so I haven't had much time to learn it since... so this just may be my inexperience talking here.

I have a linked DWG with several layers. My intent was to grey out certain layers in the imported DWG while other assume full color. while this applies to some layers ok... there are some that it doesn't seem to work on. In fact I can grey out the problem layer using the visibility setting and only certain object will grey out but not others on the very same layer. Does anyone know of any issues with linked files like this? or can someone show me the light?

Thanks,
Justin

sbrown
2006-02-14, 02:42 AM
This usually means the dwg lines that won't change are not set to bylayer and by color in the dwg file. Its not a revit problem its a drafting error very common to dwgs. The solution is to opne the file, find the lines and make sure they are on the layer they should be on and set to by layer, by color.

Sometimes you will see this in a block and need to explode the block(in acad, not in revit)

DoTheBIM
2006-02-14, 01:46 PM
That's a great suggestion, and seems to make sense so I tried to use AutoCAD to change some of the offending entities, but they were already set to bylayer. In fact It seems very inconsistent. On the lines all I have to do change the linetype to bylayer. on text I had to change the color to by layer and polylines i had to change both color and linetype to by layer. It seems as though if color or linetype are not set to bylayer. the overrides don't work. Come to think of it... even if the lineweight is not set to bylayer... Revit will ignore the overrides of color and lineweight... and probably linetype too.

TheRevitGeek
2006-02-14, 04:28 PM
in AutoCAD remember the All command you can type "change" on the command line "all" then the option of "properties" and you have "layer" and "color" this way you can change everything to bylayer and bycolor all with a few keystrokes.

DoTheBIM
2006-02-14, 07:12 PM
Forgive me as I haven't used AutoCAD in like 5 years or more. When you do that you loose the different linetypes or colors on the same layer... Not really what I was after, but I may be able to work with it. I'll just create a duplicate file with the changed styles and colors and then overlay one on the other within Revit as I see fit. Although this is more work than I wanted becuase then I would have to update 2 dwg's of the same thing for every order every time something would change that affected the dwg's.

Still seems like a bug or unintended effect in Revit. When you say override it should override whether or not it's set to bylayer.

sbrown
2006-02-15, 03:18 AM
Any chance the dwg is located outside the primary view range of the view? I'd send it in if not.

DoTheBIM
2006-02-15, 02:26 PM
Since I'm not familiar with view ranges yet... (I know of them just hadn't played with them yet.) I linked the dwg into a drafting view and was controlling the layers via visibility of imported objects. turning the layers on and off was successfull but the overrides of colors were not.

How do I go about "sending it in"?

sbrown
2006-02-15, 03:44 PM
you need to file a support request thru the subscription center. Or under the help menu there is a choice to create support request(this doesn't work in some network setups).