PDA

View Full Version : Walls will not display Fine detail

Martin P
2003-05-28, 11:35 AM
This is not a visibilty setting issue.....

I have (stupidly) tried to use vertically compound walls on a new project - all I did was make some of the layers be able to move at the top and bottom idependantly - now none of my walls will display any detail in plan views... any one else had this, I cant believe this has happened, I have spent ages messing about with this - it looks great in section but doesnt work in plan??

Further experimentation - if I make the wall taller, they will display detail eventually, but If I take view cut plane lower even to 5mm they wont display? I think it is a bug.?

Zig
2003-05-28, 01:32 PM
You are not alone.

I had a similar problem. Sorry, but I'm not going to be much help I can't recall how it was resolved. However, it was resolved. Chris Mahoney, from Revit was a great help. I know he posts here. Maybe he will be able to chime in.

In the meantime I will let it haunt me and if my memory starts working I will return with an answer :oops:

Yman
2003-05-28, 03:17 PM
Martin, the next time you do this try just adding sweeps defined the same as your wall layers and it works great. Ex. I added siding 2" below foundation line so I just added a sweep profile to the wall system and viola!. I think your stuck though with what you have now. I haven't run into your situation yet.

Y

christopher.zoog51272
2003-05-28, 03:41 PM
Martin, the next time you do this try just adding sweeps defined the same as your wall layers and it works great. Ex. I added siding 2" below foundation line so I just added a sweep profile to the wall system and viola!. I think your stuck though with what you have now. I haven't run into your situation yet.

Y

Yman,

Cool, I haven't tried this yet. Do you get a line at the top edge of the sweep? Are you using this rather than extending layers?

sbrown
2003-05-28, 05:06 PM
did you try moving your cut plane up or down.

Martin P
2003-05-28, 05:16 PM
This is not a visibilty setting issue.....

I meant depth, cut plane etc too :oops:

I did that first, I moved it right down to 1mm and it still didnt work out.

cmahoney
2003-05-28, 06:58 PM
What is the height of the wall?

A little known feature of Revit is low-walls. Any wall less than 6'-0"[2000] are considered low-walls. These walls are never shown cut in plan regardless of the height of the cut plane.

Yman
2003-05-28, 07:54 PM
Zman, there are no extra lines. I think because the materials stay the same. I thought I would try it because I get tired of extending the layers of the walls up or down all the time and it worked. Did it on this project I posted earlier in another topic. This is a one time thing and can be adjusted VERY easy and applies to all your walls instead of toggliing through to extend layers everywhere.

Attached are a couple of images of how the wall is made and wall sweeps attached.

Y.

PeterJ
2003-05-28, 08:54 PM
Chris

Chriiiiissssssss

(Tugs Y's trouser leg)

Any chance you can post that fill pattern you are using on the stud layer, please?

Pete

Yman
2003-05-28, 10:02 PM
Here you go Peter. I don't remember what scale I used for it but I created 3 different sizes of fill patterns for different projects at different scales and for filled region components for custom things for details.

I had to upload to rugi.org I thought I put it there a long time ago but there you go. It is called "woodstud.pat". It should be at the bottom of the list because I think it shows them by date uploaded and not alphabetically (did I spell it right? I'm getting as bad as Zman :wink: )

Y.

PeterJ
2003-05-29, 01:06 PM
My hero.

Thanks

Martin P
2003-05-30, 12:49 PM
What is the height of the wall?

A little known feature of Revit is low-walls. Any wall less than 6'-0"[2000] are considered low-walls. These walls are never shown cut in plan regardless of the height of the cut plane.

That would explains a lot although I must admit I have never come across that before, and I am sure I have walls lower than that? if it does exist it is absolutely awful. Thank you for the tip though, it sounds exactly like the problem - I still dont know how to get round it though :cry:

Yman
2003-05-30, 03:44 PM
I posted this also in your kill the low walls wishlist thing.

"Instead of using explicit for wall height for your 6 foot wall just keep the base constraint the same (t.o. subfloor) and then set the top constraint to the same level (t.o. subfloor) and then change the top offset to 6 feet and then click OK and that wall give you what your looking for as far as detail level goes. I don't even use the explicit for any walls due to the problem you speak of. "

This should solve your problem. I do it all the time.

Y