PDA

View Full Version : revit to autocad

sultarc
2006-02-14, 03:21 PM
We started our first project in revit recently. We ran out of time to continue in revit with detailing, etc. so we converted the files to autocad. It seems that all the revit generated hatches are needing to be replaced. They don't translate or something and cannot be manipulated. So says my CAD operator. Is this the case or are we just not doing it right?

Hopefully the next project can be fully completed in revit.

SkiSouth
2006-02-14, 03:50 PM
If you mean the hatches do not come with editable grips from Revit to Autocad, you are correct.

You should give the Revit Detailing a try though. It is very quick and easy to use. Kinda hard for me to even think about HOW to do something now in Autocad. Also, you can tie those details into the the management aspect of Revit, so when placed on a sheet, the proper detail mark is there automatically.

sjsl
2006-02-14, 03:51 PM
Secondly, if you are detailing in Acad rather than Revit you are losing ground. We found it much quicker to detail in Revit after we time trialed it. Stick to Revit and make more money.

tc3dcad60731
2006-02-14, 03:56 PM
The only thing that I would like to add to this is that all of your 2d acad details that are predrawn can be used in Revit. Something I did not know about and did not know how to do until AU2005. They are right about it being quicker to do the details in Revit!!!

Real time saver.

Simon.Whitbread
2006-02-14, 07:02 PM
We started our first project in revit recently. We ran out of time to continue in revit with detailing, etc. so we converted the files to autocad.
This is only inexperience of the user. We have had exactly the same problems on a couple of projects.
In the first, the team (5 users) bailed in favour of Autocad - because that was what they knew, the design didn't seem to be progressing fast enough for the Project Architect, and this was in order to get an issue out the door. The issue went out, all the changes went back to the model and we spent more time updating the Revit model than we should have.
The second project (5 users - different team), time was an issue again. Tight schedule, people wanting drawings. The suggestion was made that the team go back to Autocad for the majority of documentation. Even though this was their first Revit project with three days training prior to starting, the team decided to persevere, and refused the option of AutoCAD, completing all detailing within Revit.
Due to the size of our practice, we are making a slow transition to Revit with all existing projects staying in Autocad. No one who has used Revit through a project, wants to revert to Autocad.

beegee
2006-02-14, 10:19 PM
>>In the first, the team (5 users) bailed in favour of Autocad - because that was what they knew, the design didn't seem to be progressing fast enough for the Project Architect, and this was in order to get an issue out the door. The issue went out, all the changes went back to the model and we spent more time updating the Revit model than we should have.
The second project (5 users - different team), time was an issue again. Tight schedule, people wanting drawings. The suggestion was made that the team go back to Autocad for the majority of documentation. Even though this was their first Revit project with three days training prior to starting, the team decided to persevere, and refused the option of AutoCAD, completing all detailing within Revit.
Due to the size of our practice, we are making a slow transition to Revit with all existing projects staying in Autocad. No one who has used Revit through a project, wants to revert to Autocad.
Ideally, the pilot implementation project should not be under a really tight time frame. The PA / Management team should be made aware that this is a training project and the programme adjusted to account for the learning curve. Point out that 5 novice users with 3 days training on Autocad, are likely to cause some heartache in production too. :wink:

Slow transition is the way to go.

Good to hear that the team are happy with their new software.

Simon.Whitbread
2006-02-14, 11:48 PM
Ideally, the pilot implementation project should not be under a really tight time frame. The PA / Management team should be made aware that this is a training project and the programme adjusted to account for the learning curve.
You have all the same points that were put across at the time. But....

Change Engine

beegee
2006-02-15, 12:32 AM
You have all the same points that were put across at the time.

Good to know that your support is on the same page.

If the designers are using the fact that Revit can co-ordinate major changes very late in the documentation stage, and this is causing problems with the implementation, then the design needs to be frozen , as would be the case with other software. Once the team have more experience, they can cope with late changes more effectively. ( No doubt I'm also repeating what your support team have said ,again )

brendan.mac
2006-02-15, 01:20 AM
We started our first project in revit recently. We ran out of time to continue in revit with detailing, etc. so we converted the files to autocad.

Sounds very familiar...

If anything, within a short period, I have found it easier and quicker to detail in Revit than AutoCAD.

With the initial project, it is worth while having someone advise you on the timeline differences between running a project in Revit and running it in AutoCAD. Other than the obvious skill differences,

There is a fear of the unknown making the change and the biggest hurdle we had was from the Project Architect (who, to this day, still uses pen and tracing!) and the Company Director.

Initially with our first project, "How long is this going to take?" was the easiest question we had to answer because the answer was always, "I don't know... I've never done this before."

Revit turns the project time line on its ear because you need to generate a model before you have anything to show. However, once this is done and the PA and CD understand this process, the results are close to exponential.

Once we had something to show, the PA and the CD weren't anywhere near as edgy. However, it wasn't until we had worked out how to make the project LOOK like AutoCAD in the plotted form that they were truly happy!

We still have major issues within the commercial sector or our practice. But I feel that is due to the office not being prepared to suffer any 'down time' to allow the staff to learn how BIM works and its advantages. The commercial area has had Revit since 5.1 but of 20 staff, only 2 that I know of use it!! Everyone else uses AutoCAD.

From personal experience and high levels of frustration, I suggest your office prepares for some down time and restructuring to allow for integration of this new system.

"Fail to Plan, you Plan to Fail"...

sultarc
2006-02-15, 02:33 AM
I probably picked a bad project to start on. It had some difficult compound roof situations and some special dormers> I am pleased overall but needed some help to finish. I had two eads for revit help but neither had time to jump in.

As a side note wanted to say hello to Simon with whom I shared a taxi to the airport at AU.

pwmsmith
2006-02-15, 12:29 PM
Pay close attention to what you are modeling and what needs to be modeled. New users will tend to model things that could be represented with a few lines in plan and are never seen in 3d. We went through this trend. Plan before you start a project what need to be modeled and what portion will be dumb lines. Decide on the correct template, number of sheets, and the orientation of the plans and scales on the sheets. We also estimate the amount of time alloted to each sheet and track that time. With CD's when a menber of the team seems to be stalled the project manager needs to step in and correct the problem or list the problem for latter attention and move forward.
Hope this will help and good luck on your next project.

Simon.Whitbread
2006-02-15, 06:33 PM
As a side note wanted to say hello to Simon with whom I shared a taxi to the airport at AU.
Hi - Nice to hear from you. How was the rest of your trip? I spent the next 24hours in a variety of planes getting home, but it was so worth it!

sultarc
2006-02-15, 07:16 PM
I was homeby 9pm. Had a wait at the airport but i was working there at my laptop. Good to hear from you.