PDA

View Full Version : End of a gutter.

Paul P.
2004-04-16, 10:41 AM
I was just wondering what people are doing to close the end of a gutter, I was thinking of using a small in place solid tha same profile as the gutter. Or am I missing something really obvious and simple.

Nickdp
2004-04-16, 11:24 AM
That's basically what I do - create a new extrusion, select the 'cut-end' plane of the gutter as the working plane, trace over the gutter's profile with the sketching tool and give it a nominal thickness in the extrusion properties, make the end the same material as the gutter, and use join geometry tool to join it to the gutter.

Paul P.
2004-04-16, 11:26 AM
Thank's Nick.

aggockel50321
2004-04-16, 11:27 AM
Imho, you got the right idea.

However, now there's a wishlist item!

A multi-profile sweep, the ability to assign a profile to each line segment of a sweep path.

..Or, what might make more sense would be the ability to assign start / stop points along a sweep path for multiple profiles, as in the gutter case, two profiles would share a portion of the same sweep path...

Zig
2004-04-16, 02:24 PM
This probably doesn't help, but for most of my gutters I use profile for the gutter which cheats a bit. It is more like a piece of solid trim. I find this easier as I don't have to create end caps. A quick and dirty solution.

JamesVan
2004-04-16, 03:34 PM
I wonder if you could make a gutter out of a railing? Then you could use the end posts as the end caps.

Where's Phil Read when you need him?!! :wink:

sbrown
2004-04-16, 03:41 PM
This is one of those things that I wouldn't bother modelling unless you are doing a rendering that shows the end of the gutter. I've found you see very few ends in elevation and a simple detail line across the top or nothing is all thats needed in the documentation. That being said a wishlist item for "end caps" to sweeps could have more uses than just gutters.

mlgatzke
2004-04-17, 02:04 AM
Wouldn't it just be nice to have Revit ask the user, when placing gutters that have open ends, if you'd like caps on the open ends? This makes sense to me.

beegee
2004-04-17, 03:59 AM
Wouldn't it just be nice to have Revit ask the user, when placing gutters that have open ends, if you'd like caps on the open ends? This makes sense to me.

Yes, I think thats the way Revit should do it. Fits in with the whole ease of use principle.

gregcashen
2004-04-17, 05:31 AM
I think it's time for compound sweeps. This is basically what a railing is. You can specify both horizontal and vertical repeating members, end conditions, etc. Why not let all sweeps have this ability? It would have a lot more uses than just gutter caps. For instance, dentils under a soffit. actually, any sort of trim that has horizontally repeating elements.

aggockel50321
2004-04-17, 12:01 PM
I think both Greg & Jamesvan are on to something.

After seeing what Phil Reed did with the stairs, It should be possible, using the railing command.

Martin P
2004-04-17, 01:25 PM
This probably doesn't help, but for most of my gutters I use profile for the gutter which cheats a bit. It is more like a piece of solid trim. I find this easier as I don't have to create end caps. A quick and dirty solution.

same here, if the sections are large scale I do an internal line but for most 1:50 you cant tell its solid...

christo4robin
2004-04-17, 03:57 PM
Shouldn't all y'all get your mind out of the gutter! :lol: