PDA

View Full Version : 2 different wall sweeps on the same project...

kevin.matherly
2006-02-14, 08:26 PM
It doesn't seem to be too much to ask.

I've created two separate sweep profiles for my project. I use the first to detail a frieze around the structure. Then I admire the work and accomplishment.

Then I change my sweep profile to my second profile. Immediately all existing sweeps are changed to the new profile???? Growl, growl, grumble, grumble, whine, whine.

So what gives? Anybody else having this problem? Surely we can have more than one sweep profile per project. I've tried a number of solutions like saving the project between changes, leaving 3D mode and subsequently the sweep "editor" altogether

arrrrggggg

dhurtubise
2006-02-14, 08:33 PM
Did you create a second type using the second profile ?

kpaxton
2006-02-14, 09:33 PM
...AND SO THE STORY GOES......

Well, here's a good example of how Revit is looks at things (objects, families, etc.), and how we have to manipulate it. FYI: I've created projects where there are probably 12-15+ different wall sweeps, so yes, it can easily be done. This is a multi-step process.

Profiles - It sounds like you understand that you can create separate Profiles (the outlines that define how your sweep looks. Similar to a closed polyline)

It is important these are closed.
It is important there are no overlapping lines.
The sizes may be parametric and changeable with parameters.
Load each different profile you want to use in your project.

Subcategory - Controls the materials on the fly.

To gain better control of adjusting materials, assign a Subcategory
Settings > Object Styles > (select walls category)> New (subcategory)
Give it a name that describes what or where it is
Assign a specific material here, if you wish, for the sweep.

Host Sweep - The next step is to create a sweep Definition, using one of your Profiles.

Modeling > Host Sweep > Wall Sweep (or whatever you're making).
In the pull down (above), select one of the Sweeps (Cornice for example)
Properties > Edit/New > Duplicate > (Give it a new name)
In the Properties dialogue, select Profile, then select the profile name you want to associate with this sweep.
Assign a Subcategory to control the materials, etc.
Make material "By Category"
IMPORTANT : You need to create a different sweep Definition for EVERY different sweep Profile you want to make.

It sounds like you made the changes to your sweep in that one's definition. When you do that.. it's a Global change throughout the model. If you'd like to change only a few instances, then make a new definition, select the sweeps in question, then change their definition.

TIP:.. when you're making your Sweeps, don't do all of them in one try. Use the 'Start Next' button on the Options bar, then select a new location. The sweeps will still miter and trim each other, but they won't be linked as "one" element. (That can be a problem when all you want to do is change one little segment.)

Hope this helps clarify things.
Kyle

kevin.matherly
2006-02-15, 12:21 AM
that did it thanks. and I was able to pick up the profiles I had in place.

tc3dcad60731
2006-04-20, 05:43 PM
This worked great for me trying to create a custom profile. Thanks!