PDA

View Full Version : Best Practice for wall ends.

Andre Baros
2006-02-14, 09:01 PM
What is the best way to deal with the ends of walls, regarding length, sweeps, hosted objects, etc.

For example, if I have a free floating wall in a project which is 21'-6" long and I want to make it 21'-0" long. How do I pin one end so that the other end moves, or how do I change the "start" point so that if I edit the dimension the correct end moves? If I have two different wall types connected end to end, and I want to make one of them shorter or longer by a specific amount how do I change the length (especially for small changes)?

Or, if I have a free standing wall, interior on both sides, How do I get a sweep to wrap around the end and back onto the other side... and still clean up properly?

Or if I want to put a light fixture on the end of it, I do I get it to snap to the end not the front or back?

The biggest issue is changing the length of a wall that isn't connected to another wall, but in general Revit doesn't like you to expose ends of walls, however, architecturally, we do it a lot.

aaronrumple
2006-02-14, 09:10 PM
What is the best way to deal with the ends of walls, regarding length, sweeps, hosted objects, etc.

For example, if I have a free floating wall in a project which is 21'-6" long and I want to make it 21'-0" long. How do I pin one end so that the other end moves, or how do I change the "start" point so that if I edit the dimension the correct end moves? If I have two different wall types connected end to end, and I want to make one of them shorter or longer by a specific amount how do I change the length (especially for small changes)?

Or, if I have a free standing wall, interior on both sides, How do I get a sweep to wrap around the end and back onto the other side... and still clean up properly?

Or if I want to put a light fixture on the end of it, I do I get it to snap to the end not the front or back?

The biggest issue is changing the length of a wall that isn't connected to another wall, but in general Revit doesn't like you to expose ends of walls, however, architecturally, we do it a lot.
To move the end of the wall or edit the length in a particular direction, tab to select the end of the wall - not the round rip, but the line of the end of the wall. It may take a couple of tabs. Once selected you can use the move tool or edit the temp. dimensions.

Select the sweep. Then "Change Sweep Returns". Return the end you wish to wrap 90 degrees. Then return to modify and drag the grip back as far as you like.

Can't put a fixture on the end of a wall (unless the family was designed 90 degrees to the face of the wall.) so place a very small segment at the end as a cap.

Andre Baros
2006-02-15, 12:51 PM
Thank you very much, these were pesky little problems that I hadn't found solutions for and this helps a lot. I have been putting small segments on the ends of walls as caps, or creating separate but equal families which are not hosted but was hoping that there was an elegant solution (ie, from the factory) that that too.

Thanks again.

ejburrell67787
2006-02-15, 12:58 PM
How do I pin one end so that the other end moves, or how do I change the "start" point so that if I edit the dimension the correct end moves? If I have two different wall types connected end to end, and I want to make one of them shorter or longer by a specific amount how do I change the length (especially for small changes)?If you draw a reference plane and lock the end of the wall to it you should be able to ensure the other end entends if you alter the length.

Max Lloyd
2006-02-15, 01:50 PM
Good tips. Thanks Aaron.

aaronrumple
2006-02-15, 01:59 PM
If you draw a reference plane and lock the end of the wall to it you should be able to ensure the other end entends if you alter the length.
Actually if you are using the temp dimensions all this will do is move the reef. plane along with the wall. If you pin the ref. plane, it will give you a constraint error message.

ejburrell67787
2006-02-15, 02:29 PM
Actually if you are using the temp dimensions all this will do is move the reef. plane along with the wall. If you pin the ref. plane, it will give you a constraint error message.OK I stand corrected O Revit Maharishi! :razz: