PDA

View Full Version : RCP view range

patricks
2006-02-15, 12:55 AM
I really don't understand what this RCP view range is doing.

I have an in-place generic model family of some gas piping that runs vertically up an outside wall of my building and then across the roof to mechanical units. In my ground floor RCP, if I set the view depth to unlimited, or to otherwise encompass the entire height of the building, the gas piping shows fine (only in section outside the exterior wall). However, if I set the view range just high enough to show an exterior canopy (not the entire height of the building), then I can see the gas pipe in my RCP that is supposed to be ON TOP of the roof, as well as in section where it runs up outside the building, even though there is a roof between the view and the piping above the roof. The roof would be above the RCP's view range. It's almost as if I had the roof turned off, even though it's not.

Can anybody give some insight as to what is going on here?

brendan.mac
2006-02-15, 02:35 AM
Is your gas pipe line created as a family element?

If so, it may pay to go back into this element and check the view range. For some daffy reason, the view setup in the family item can be imported into the project, meaning that if your RCP in the family element is set to unlimited, it will show up in other views.

This also goes for the height of your cutting plane in your family and the view range you have set it. These settings seem to be imported into your project and you need to set these when you are modelling your family with half a mind on what you want this application for and how you want it to view once it is imported.

I had a similar episode with a very unforgiving rain water head....

I hope this helps.

patricks
2006-02-15, 02:32 PM
It was all created in-place in the project, using the roof plan view, and a few elevation and section views. I never did any work with the pipe in an RCP view, since the only place it is supposed to show in RCP is in section outside of one exterior wall, i.e. just a little circle in that location.

tomm
2006-04-10, 07:30 PM
I am resurrecting this old post to see if anyone has anything more enlightening in this regard. I am currently working on a RCP of a 1st floor plan and it clearly shows a sewer pipe in the plan that is located 2 levels below the floor. This pipe does not show up in the floor plan, but does in the RCP of the floor plan when I underlay the floor plan. Anyone got any ideas why? I have checked the view range settings of both the RCP view and the floor plan (underlaid). All settings seem normal.