PDA

View Full Version : Large rendering "Fail to export image"

Nic M.
2004-04-18, 09:41 AM
I have a large rendering (8858 X 9697 pixels) for a site board
It renderd for about 12 hours and it looks ok.
I captured the rendering and saved the Revit file.
Now I want to export the captured rendering,
if I save it as a tiff file, the program creates a 0Kb file: no image
if I save as a JPEG file, the program gives a dialog:" Fail to export image, Please reduce image size".
But I do need the image this big.
Do I have to re-render this image to a smaller size and pump it up in an image editing program?
What is the maximum size of a rendering in Revit.
Other options?

Nic M.
2004-04-18, 09:53 AM
I was able to save:
as TIFF file at 80% file size 180 800 Kb editable in Photoshop
as TIFF file at 90% file size 203 824 Kb "could not open... file in use" in Photoshop

(side note: Revit file /plan, elevation, sections,(CD) sheets, schedules, materials, cameras ,settings for rendering AND large rendering image is 21 518Kb)

For the moment i'm saved but I like to know what the maximum render size is

beegee
2004-04-18, 09:46 PM
As far as I know, Revit does not impose a limit on a file size. ( Similarly Photoshop )

This could happen if you don't have enough RAM or HD space.

There was a bug with 6.0 TIF conversions, but I think that was sorted in 6.1.

Nic M.
2004-04-19, 01:32 PM
HD: Tens of GB free
RAM 1 GB / Revit only App. open /task manager PF Usage: ±360Mb

Archman
2004-04-19, 02:01 PM
I'm pretty sure this is a memory problem. I ran into a similar problem trying to save a radiosity solution. Renderings use so much memory that in some extreme cases I don't believe even 1Gb is enough.

sbrown
2004-04-19, 03:35 PM
I tend to agree its a memory issue, typically revit won't let the rendering start if it is too large. So the fact that it got done and just can't be saved is strange. It sounds like you've sent the file to revit, have they followed up. If the rendering is "captured" and they can't save it either, then they should be able to figure out why.

SkiSouth
2004-04-19, 03:45 PM
nic,

might want to be careful about "capturing" the rendering. It adds it to Revit's file size, now you've really created a memory monster, especially if you have "captured" many of the images. "Export" the image don't capture it. Then when the capture is finished, switch the view you've rendered back to either hidden line or shaded - whatever you normally work with. It will speed up your jumping from view to view as you don't have to wait on the graphics card to put the rendered image back up.
Look under the project brower under renderings. If there are images there you might want to delete them to shrink the Revit file size down. Then generate the image you are attempting to export, and see if you still get the error.

Nic M.
2004-04-19, 06:32 PM
I delivered the renderings this morning on CD to the client, so everything is OK now.
Its just you know, working in weekends, the rendering in your Revit file is at last looking a bit decent but you can't save the damn thing :veryevil:
It makes you want to use the computer as a chopping-block and put the whole thing on fire.
It's better now, thanks

If it's a memory thing? Well, it did render, I was able to capture the file, save the Revit file, close Revit, re-open it and the task manager PF Usage was ±360Mb.
As Scott poits out I had a setting where Revit told me it had to little RAM to do the rendering so I lowered the values and it started the rendering.
Let's just keep it at a memory anomaly and go to bed,
Thanks all