PDA

View Full Version : Additions

Kroke
2003-05-28, 08:05 PM
Well, I usually do new construction only, so I'm in a learning curve on this addition project I'm into right now.

I have the existing residence all done. Now I am trying to draw the new addition, so what I've done is 'copy w/ detail' the existing plan, and set it as 1/2 tone and I'm going to continue building onto it with the addition.

Everything 1/2 tones out well except for all the 'detail lines' I used to draw in cabinets, etc in plan view.

How can I make all my detail lines go to 1/2 tone as well? Or am I doing it completely wrong? Is this even the way I should go about it?

Thanks for the input fellas...

Yman
2003-05-28, 08:33 PM
Completely wrong Kman. You want to use phases and phase filters. Do the quick tutorial and you'll see. You can set your graphics using the phase filters stuff and then use your phase filters in your view properties. Works preety slick. I'm sure you'll have more questions on this stuff. It can be a little confusing with the filters at first but once you get the hang, powerful!

Y.

sbrown
2003-05-28, 08:34 PM
Yes you are doing it wrong.

1st step,
set up 3 phases

existing
demo
new

now select all your items of the existing bldg
and pick properties and set them to the existing phase, note if you change your phase 1 to existing this step is unnecessary.

2. create one floor plan for your existing bldg.

set the phase to existing and the phase filter to new only(since in the existing phase new is existing)

3. create a floor plan for your demo work
set the phase to demo and the phase filters to show existing and demo

4. create a floor plan for you new work
set the phase to new construction and the phase filter to show existing and new.

Then when you place new geometry make sure you place it on the plan at the right phase of construction.(you can allways change stuff later, but its easy to miss something)

PeterJ
2003-05-28, 08:44 PM
Scott

Why add an extra phase for demo? Surely it can be handled adequately with the phase filters thus avoiding the extra phase and so the extra messing about as you I imagine Kroke's project will only require demolition associated with the new work.

We do a lot of alteration work and I never use more than one new work/demo phase unless there is an enabling works phase.

P

sbrown
2003-05-28, 08:48 PM
The demo phase lets me create easily demo plans, elevations and sections, and use the demo tool, You can't create and item and demo it on the same phase and I consider the demo portion of a project a sep. phase. I find it accurate and easy. You also don't have new work showing up on the plan which might confuse the demo work. Note that I do commercial architecture so residential may be handled differently.

I also open up my detail components and make copies of them with a subcategory called demo so I can place components that are red dashed lines too.

Kroke
2003-05-28, 08:50 PM
Wow guys. Thank you so much for the quick reply, needed BIG TIME! You gotta tune out old cad methods and work w/ an open mind in Revit :)

Ok, sweet, on my way now w/ the phases...
How do you select any 'detail lines' to move them to 'existing'? See I draw in my cabinets, etc in plan view using those instead of modelling them. Is there a way to dictate them? Or perhaps a clue on what you guys do to solve that issue?

This is fun all over again hehe.

Dean Camlin
2003-05-28, 09:02 PM
You should be able to select the detail lines and change their properties to "existing." That way they maintain the same display characteristics when you're in the "new construction" phase.

BTW, welcome to the 4th dimension in Revit!

Steve_Stafford
2D linework for existing cabinets and the like that will DEFinitely not need elevations etc...I'll create linestyles like "Casework-Solid", Casework-Overhead".

This way I can control them because they are their own linestyle and now are listed in the Lines category under Model objects in Vis/Graph.

I would probably use model lines so I don't have to copy them around if they need to be visible in several views since detail lines are view dependant.

This is way too AutoCAD but let's face it, do you really want to model something you're not getting paid for?? In my current project I put "real" cabinets in one of twenty classrooms and created my elevations in that room, then used two lines (solid and dashed) to represent them in all the other plan views.

JamesVan
Oooh! I want in on this one...

Anything you draw in Revit (even detail lines) has a Phase Created and Phase Demolished parameter. If you want to set the default phase for new objects, change the Phase in the View Properties in the current view. Any new objects will be created in that phase.

HTH

James

Kroke
2003-05-28, 09:09 PM
Heh, I'm downloading the tutorial files now, shouldda done that before. You know how it is being a guy...try fist...try again...last resort: RTFM. :D

Kroke
2003-05-29, 12:06 AM
w00t!

Thanks to your input and reading through the tutorials as I downloaded the files, I was able to do just what I wanted to (as far as a preliminary goes anyhow)... I'll find out what other interesting things have to be done for the framing plans once the design is accepted.

Thanks again, yee-haw! :o

hand471037
2003-05-29, 12:24 AM
Probably not with Residential work like this, but commonly the demo contractor is a different guy/company than the main contractor. Typically the demo contractor is a sub to the main. So then having the Demo as a sepirate phase, so you can easly generate demo-only plans, that only show the demo work, is sometimes best, for you know as soon as your plans show up on the job site the main contractor will tear them to pieces and hand off one sheet to this guy, one sheet to another guy, and no one 'cept him will have ever seen the whole set. :)

GS Fulton
2003-05-29, 04:31 AM
I prefer using three phases also. Having a separate demo phase makes it simpler in my simple mind and I don't have to think about phase filters, etc. I have noticed that lines drawn in earlier phases take on the display setting for the phase but they seem to lose their other characteristics (i.e. property lines become solid, dashed become solid) Anybody else run into this?

Steve_Stafford
2003-05-29, 05:05 AM
Yeah, that's why Revit recommends two phases (at least when it comes to the exg/demo/new relationship). It understands how to display demo stuff already.

The phase filters let you display stuff in the appropriate context, either existing + demo or New + Existing. I Seldom need to show demo at the same time but "show all" does that, though come to think of it my last office usually did.

If you really want an existing "as is" and demo "scope" views, then copy the new work view and change the name to demo "something" and set the phase filter to Show previous + demo. Same for for Existing only, except use the Show Previous filter instead. So you can have three "phase" views using only two phases.

I'll have to dig up what Steve Burri taught at AU, I downloaded the handout. He gave some great advice on this, though it was from a discussion about using phases for options I think.

PeterJ
2003-05-29, 12:54 PM
I do both resi and commercial work and still find one phase for new/demo works best for me. On the other hand in larger projects where all or most of the building is to come down I do find that the demo has usually taken place before the main contractor comes to site