PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations list

ashuler
2006-02-20, 05:15 PM
Is there a way to access a list of abbreviations that Revit uses.
for example:
flr = floor
sgl = single
mtl = metal
etc....
or, is Revit defaulted to a prescribe type of abbreviations than can be looked up else were... AKA a standard like Uniform Drafting or something?

DaveP
2006-02-20, 09:28 PM
Revit doesn't abbreviate anything by itself.

The Project Browser spells out Floor Plan, Ceiling Plan, etc.

Which abbreviations are you talking about?

ashuler
2006-02-20, 11:38 PM
I am asking in regard to scheduling. Our firm is considering switching to Revit, but currently updating our typical schedule format in autoCAD. I was asked to find out what abbreviations Revit uses, so that we can be consistent.
I haven't been able to find anything within Revit, however, I have noticed that some things are abbreviated (i.e. Basic Wall: Exterior - brick on mtl. stud).
Perhaps there are no abbreviations "built into" Revit, but they are results of editable attributes?

aaronrumple
2006-02-21, 01:07 AM
You can type whatever you like. How are you applying or automating this in AutoCAD right now?

ashuler
2006-02-21, 03:14 PM
We are simply setting up standard schedules with editable attributes in AutoCAD right now. Along with this a standard abbreviations list is being developed. The questions came up, "if we switch to Revit, will there be standard abbreviations already set up in Revit that are different than what we have been using in AutoCAD?"
I was asked to find out.

aaronrumple
2006-02-21, 03:31 PM
Ok - right now - no.
Revit does have abbreviations in it, but this is just a text file and easily updated to your office standards for spell checking.

I'm hoping that Revit 9 has some sort of keynote system and would hopefully draw from a central list of abbreviations and notes, but that is only a hope.

DaveP
2006-02-21, 03:54 PM
I have noticed that some things are abbreviated (i.e. Basic Wall: Exterior - brick on mtl. stud).Revit does supply a whole bunch of families for things like wall and door types, but they are only the names of the files. Pretty much any text you're going to see on a sheet will be something your firm has created. Many of the families have parameters which allow you to type in values, but they don't come with built-in "answers".

I'm showing my AutoCAD (or are you using ADT?) ignorance here, but I think that if you turned your question around, and asked "What abbreviations does AutoCAD use?" you'd end up with pretty much the same answer.

You can create your own Families and Schedules in your Revit Project Template and use any standards you've already created.

ashuler
2006-02-21, 03:58 PM
Thanks for your help!