PDA

View Full Version : Precast Hollow Core Concrete Floor Planks

cliff collins
2004-04-20, 06:54 PM
Anyone have ideas on how to do hollow core precast concrete floor planks? (like "Flexicore" slabs) with round holes/voids inside the slabs.

They come in various sizes/thicknesses/spans like 6", 8" 12" thick
and 2'-0" or 4'-0" widths--spans determined by engineering criteria.

I could take a generic conc. slab and create these from scratch--just checking if anyone already has/knows where to get these?

Thanks for any help.... :)

aaronrumple
2004-04-20, 07:24 PM
..just make a structural family. This is a simple enough shape.

cogen
2004-04-20, 08:34 PM
Do you need to model the planks? We just completed a 10-story building using 8" planks but didn't model them. Just used an 8" slab, used white filled regions for the cores in one plank width, grouped then copied. You can even use the "paste>align" command to copy the core group to details. This worked just fine.

aaronrumple
2004-04-20, 08:38 PM
of course not...

If you are just after detail in section, the repeating detail is the way to go.

Just doing grouped filled regions is the hard way.

Of course your quanities will be in sq. ft/cu. ft. and you won't be able to do any special scheuling of the individual planks. But as an architectural firm - no matter.

cogen
2004-04-20, 08:46 PM
Yes, this is true:

If you are just after detail in section, the repeating detail is the way to go.

Just doing grouped filled regions is the hard way.

We started the project in 6.0, didn't want to change the groups at that point.

cliff collins
2004-04-20, 09:04 PM
I was actually looking for "pre-modeled family" sim. to structural tees, etc.
checked RUGI, RevitCity, etc.--no luck.

I like to see things like the "holes" in section and dashed lines in other direction viewed from the model-- and yes we even like to know how wide/how many planks we have.....good for doing layouts.

Simple enough to make them "from scratch"....guess I always like to do it the easy way! :roll:

They would be a welcome additon to the Structural slab/floor category for future "out-of the box" releases-- K-series bar joists would be as well...

cbc

Double 'A'
2006-06-21, 01:14 PM
Has anybody created a precast hollow core conc. plank family yet? If so, could you upload it to this post?

I was actually looking for "pre-modeled family" sim. to structural tees, etc.
checked RUGI, RevitCity, etc.--no luck.

I like to see things like the "holes" in section and dashed lines in other direction viewed from the model-- and yes we even like to know how wide/how many planks we have.....good for doing layouts.

Simple enough to make them "from scratch"....guess I always like to do it the easy way! :roll:

They would be a welcome additon to the Structural slab/floor category for future "out-of the box" releases-- K-series bar joists would be as well...

cbc

Phil Palmer
2006-06-27, 09:49 AM
I am wondering myself how best to handle these

I created a generic line based object that works well BUT we are unable to assign it to a 'floor' catagory.
Also I dont seem to be able to cut holes into the plank object using voids or face based objects

gbrowne
2006-06-27, 12:40 PM
Surely modelling the floor slab itself is taking it a bit too far down the "just because we can" road, no? Or am I just lazy..

mschroeder
2006-06-27, 03:57 PM
I use detail components for this.

Here you go...

See attached.

neb1998
2006-06-27, 05:54 PM
Creating parametric precast planks has been a bit of a pain. I have a family of 3 foot, 4 foot, and 5 foot widths, the ends are a problem and any specific cuts. I end up usually using an inplace void at the end to delete the ends as changing the widths is very difficult in moving the cores into their correct locations.

UNLESS someone can tell me how to constrain the center of an array to a reference plane - So that if you have 3 or n cores the center is always attached to the reference plane...not sure this is possible.

bowlingbrad
2006-06-27, 06:22 PM
UNLESS someone can tell me how to constrain the center of an array to a reference plane - So that if you have 3 or n cores the center is always attached to the reference plane...not sure this is possible.

Have a reference plane for the start of the array at Length of Array / 2

This is assuming you can calculate the Length of the Array.

neb1998
2006-06-27, 06:43 PM
not a problem finding the center of the array, what i need to do is constrain the array to a center point of the array.....Which is not working

bowlingbrad
2006-06-27, 07:25 PM
Can you post a file?

neb1998
2006-06-27, 07:37 PM
Yeah, i will in a bit...I think i trashed the file but i will glady create it again if you have a solution.

I will work on it after hours today

bowlingbrad
2006-06-28, 12:28 PM
I gave it a shot. Please tell me if this is what you're looking for. I made the cell a separate detail component and nested it into the plank component. I gave it height and length instance parameters that are driven by the thickness and length of the plank.

Hope this helps.

neb1998
2006-06-28, 12:59 PM
brad that looks pretty good....maybe i did not clarify before but i was trying to do the entire plank in 3d, but this is actually pretty valuable as well....

Thanks and i will post the 3d version soon, just been very busy

bowlingbrad
2006-06-28, 01:37 PM
Glad to help. I'm sure you can cannibalize the formulas to work in 3D.