PDA

View Full Version : Phone, Gas, Elec Lines

davidcobi
2006-02-21, 10:52 PM
We're trying to create PH, GAS, ELEC lines with the repeating detail tool but when we import our detail component family and apply it to a repeating detail the TEXT doeasn't show up. Any suggestions?

Also, as a wishlist item, it would be nice if one could apply a repeating detail along an arc, say for instance if you had an arched ceiling with joists 16" o.c.

PeterJ
2006-02-21, 11:03 PM
This is a well enough known issue. The repeating detail tool is not designed to carry text. If you need it to then make the text as detail lines in a detail component rather than text, or use a simple key based on filled diamonds, open diamonds etc.

aaronrumple
2006-02-22, 03:41 PM
..import some AutoCAD text into your family. This will show up in the detail.

barathd
2006-02-22, 03:52 PM
Aaron:

You've done it again - works great.

davidcobi
2006-02-22, 05:15 PM
Thanks Aaron.

ford347
2006-08-22, 10:03 PM
Aaron or anybody who know's,...

I'm glad I found this and when I did, I went ahead and created my utility linetypes like the process you described. However when you print, the text disapears? I thought maybe it was just pdf, or dwf printing process, but the print preview even shows the same result. Has anyone ran into this, and if so figured out how to get the text to show up?

Josh

Mr Spot
2006-08-23, 02:30 AM
Aaron or anybody who know's,...

I'm glad I found this and when I did, I went ahead and created my utility linetypes like the process you described. However when you print, the text disapears? I thought maybe it was just pdf, or dwf printing process, but the print preview even shows the same result. Has anyone ran into this, and if so figured out how to get the text to show up?

Josh
That appears to be a bug.

A workaround would be to print using raster settings.

Mr Spot
2006-08-23, 02:31 AM
Aaron:

Thanks for the detail. I tried to reverse-engineer to change labels for electric, sewer etc. but could no do it. You indicated Acad file import. Where to? A little help please?

Marc
TSAP
Create an ACAD file containing only the text you need (in model space). Save and import into a new detail component.

Add a line as required.

Setup a repeating detail component in a project.

msmith.tsap
2006-08-23, 02:37 AM
Yep, Chris, solved it while you answered. Just like you said. Too quick on the draw to ask for help.

Many thanks to you and Aaron both. This opens a whole new set of opportunities--fences, etc.

Marc
TSAP

Fred Blome
2007-02-08, 06:36 PM
Here's a Detail Component for lines with text. This one, however, has true editable text, rather than using a imported Acad symbol.

Many thanks to the tutorial posted by Shaun van Rooyen here (http://revitfamilies.blogspot.com/2007/02/text-value-line-styles.html)

I've elaborated on it a bit with additional controls for text visibility for shorter lines. My initial setup is based using it on 1/8" scale drawings.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-02-08, 07:02 PM
Nice one Fred. Thanks for sharing :beer: (and second hand thanks to Shaun)

bowlingbrad
2007-02-08, 07:53 PM
Here's one with a nested annotation symbol. Put any text, any array value. You can even place in your own graphic. Just make it an annotation symbol family.

Reverse engineer and enjoy.

Fred Blome
2007-02-08, 08:03 PM
Here's one with a nested annotation symbol. Put any text, any array value. You can even place in your own graphic. Just make it an annotation symbol family.

Reverse engineer and enjoy.Hey, it's the same idea. The controls I added were to avoid problems when the array goes less than 2, which is needed in this case because the array (for the text) spacing is spec'd rather than a number distributed.

bowlingbrad
2007-02-08, 08:16 PM
Looks like you posted your family during the time I was creating mine. Great minds...

Fred Blome
2007-02-08, 08:37 PM
Looks like you posted your family during the time I was creating mine. Great minds...Creative and obsessive at the same time - a great combo.

ford347
2007-02-08, 08:41 PM
Thanks Fred and Brad, great families!!

Josh

Firmso
2007-02-26, 09:49 PM

Reverse engineer and enjoy.

Much appreciated.
Great help
Thanks

anakone
2011-09-01, 02:38 AM
Is it possible to replace the text with an arrow head?

i am trying to create a dashed line that will automatically have arrows equal distance apart as i draw so it represents a persons journey.

ethant
2011-12-02, 08:12 PM
This is awesome! Thanks so much!