PDA

View Full Version : Revit revision headaches

Richard McCarthy
2004-04-21, 12:27 AM
I was just wondering how do everyone keep track of all the changes when doing project with Revit?.. Because Revit is parametric, it makes it so much harder to spot inconsistency when something go wrong, because it updates all the drawings and the model, for example, if I change the wall's distance from Wall A to Wall B from 200 to 400, next time around, when I do a revision, I sometimes discover the wall got pushed to 380 (+ or - 20) when wall joints affected the relationship of it, then when I change it, I forgot the ground floor is slightly different from above, and the mistake just got snowballed from then on. Sometimes, when I was doing "UNDO" command half way through and Revit crash, and all the changes I made or "un-made" have to track down once again, which quite a bit of headache. I was wondering how everyone deal with this kind of thing on daily bases?

Persistance
2004-04-21, 01:20 AM
I generaly find that I start by setting up my levels and then setting up a full grid for the project to work on, I then lock the grids and dimension them so that they cannot be moved. This way I draw all of my walls on fixed grid lines so that they cannot mysteriously move nomatter what I do. So when I need a prominant wall to move I have to consiously unlock the grid line and drag it.

This also means that I can make changes throughout the project very easily without any strange things happening.

The other thing that you could do is use phasing as a design iteration tool, but this can become a little messy.

I don't know whether this helps at all

Ciao