PDA

View Full Version : Arc behavior in DBlocks

esdeyo
2006-02-22, 04:54 PM
Attached is a dblock I am working on. I cannot figure out how adjust the radius correctly. Can someone help.

Thanks,

jm.pearson105333
2006-02-22, 05:09 PM
Attached is a dblock I am working on. I cannot figure out how adjust the radius correctly. Can someone help.

Thanks,

I'm not sure what sizes you're looking for, but I have a possible solution...

1. Add a Linear Parameter from the center of your radius, spanning the inside (or outside, or center) radius. Then attach a Scale Action to that distance.
2. Create a lookup table for the sizes using 3 Lookup Properties: Distance, Distance 1, and Distance 2 (Distance and Distance 1 being the two that you've got in place, Distance 2 being the new one mentioned in the first step.) Coordinate these numbers such that they look correct for each radius of elbow you are looking for.

(Another option: I'm attaching a less detailed block of one of our long radius duct elbows. It uses the same principle as what I believe you are trying to do, and may work for you...)

Rico
2006-02-23, 02:34 PM
not sure if this is what you are looking for ..... but let me know ......

esdeyo
2006-02-23, 02:48 PM
Not quite what I need. A few parameters might help though. the inside radius, (Hidden line) needs to stay at 12". the tray width changes from hidden line to hidden line in increments for 6. I appreciate you looking at this though. I'm still stumped on it.

Rico
2006-02-23, 02:54 PM
can you post a sample drawing of what it is that you are looking for? Maybe a before and after shot? I only went with what I imagined you'd want, but in reality I have no idea what it is that you are looking for.

esdeyo
2006-02-23, 02:59 PM
I attached my only work around. It's a dynamic block that just has a bunch of visibility states available. I would like to use the visibility parameter for tray depth so I combine 4 dblocks into 1. Let me know if you can come up with something. Thanks again.

jm.pearson105333
2006-02-23, 05:56 PM
Take a look at the editor portion of this. I think it will work for what you are looking for. I had a few minutes to play with it, but I'm pretty busy so, I didn't finish, but I think you can see where I'm going with it...

Rico
2006-03-06, 09:21 PM
Take a look at the editor portion of this. I think it will work for what you are looking for. I had a few minutes to play with it, but I'm pretty busy so, I didn't finish, but I think you can see where I'm going with it...
BOOYAH Baby!!!!

I worked long and hard on this thing in my spare time and I am PUMPED that I got it to work! I think it's right, anyway. I'm pretty sure. If it's not, please be gentle. :)

I have attached the file and look forward to hearing your replies. It's pretty complex, and it took a lot of brain bending thought as to HOW I was going to get it all to work.

I started with simple stretches but that was not right, then I added scales but the angles were off. then I combined them, but the lines were off ...... in the end, I've been working on this one since it was posted and i am proud of the results .... and I hope you are too.

Have a look. Let me know what you think.

Rico
2006-03-06, 09:43 PM
I worked long and hard on this thing in my spare time and I am PUMPED that I got it to work!
In my excitement, I forgot to explain how this one works ....

Basically, the default block is set to 6" (from dotted line to dotted line) but the distance from the centre of the circle to the outermost dotted line is 18". So I calculated a distance of 12" as a difference (duh). Therefore, if you want a 12" cable tray (dotted line size - instead of 6" to 12") you have to enter an overall dimension of 24". If you want a 15", you have to enter 27" (15+12).

So in a nutshell, whatever size of tray that you want to have, just add 12 to the size and draw away.

I apologize for this quirk in the block, but I was unable to get it to work any other way because of the arcs. Hopefully this is enough.

esdeyo
2006-03-06, 09:44 PM
BOOYAH Baby!!!!

I worked long and hard on this thing in my spare time and I am PUMPED that I got it to work! I think it's right, anyway. I'm pretty sure. If it's not, please be gentle. :)

I have attached the file and look forward to hearing your replies. It's pretty complex, and it took a lot of brain bending thought as to HOW I was going to get it all to work.

I started with simple stretches but that was not right, then I added scales but the angles were off. then I combined them, but the lines were off ...... in the end, I've been working on this one since it was posted and i am proud of the results .... and I hope you are too.

Have a look. Let me know what you think.
You are a genius, thanks Now I need to figure out how to break it down.

Rico
2006-03-07, 02:15 PM
You are a genius, thanks Now I need to figure out how to break it down.
there was no "order" that I used to place the parameters and actions. It was quite random.

The main thing was having one "master" stretch action (the one with the grip) and the rest are linked to that parameter and action set.

Make sure that all your dependant parameters have the "Chain Actions" set to Yes.

Your "master" parameter and action set should have "Chain Actions" set to No. (Because it's not linking to anything else, see? It's only the OTHER ones that are linking.)

And remember that for every horizontal stretch, there needs to be a vertical stretch as well with the "Angle Offset" set to the correct angle. (90 or 270%%D)

Clear as mud, right?

esdeyo
2006-03-07, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the wonderful help. Posted is the final dblock for the 90 deg bend.

Rico
2006-03-07, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the wonderful help. Posted is the final dblock for the 90 deg bend. Erik,

Glad that I could help. Honeslty. Now that I've tackled THIS, I feel like I can do damn near anything! haha. The experience I got from this block was astronomical. DBs no longer seem so complicated.

Nice additions to the block, too. Adding a lookup parameter linked to a Vis state. Though I did not understand what the 3", 4", 5", & 6" Tray Depth were measuring to.

And thanks for posting the final prouct on the site. Allowing people to share in knowledge makes us all better in the end.

Happy Blocking.