PDA

View Full Version : Problem opening Revit 8.1 files

SCShell
2006-02-23, 02:21 PM
Hey there,
Hopefully, someone is able to answer a "silly" question.
I recently downloaded the latest 8.1 version on my main Office Machine. Now, I can open Revit by clicking on the desktop Revit 8.1 shortcut and then I can open any project from there once I have Revit open. However, if I try to open a project from the .rvt project icon, I get an error message saying that it is not a Win32 application blah blah blah.... Same thing happens when I right click on the project's icon and select "open with" and browse for Revit 8.1's program file. (If I right click on the file's icon and select 'Properties', it does say that it is a Revit Building 8.1 application.)
Hmmmmmm
Scratching my head. (Blonde head) Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Steve

rhys
2006-02-23, 02:43 PM
Steve, still sounds as if its something to do with file associations in windows.
You could try the following:
In my computer
Folder Options
File Types
find .rvt file extension
Change
Browse to
Revit.exe in your Programs folder make sure its the 8.1 version.
If you have earlier versions of revit still installed windows may be picking them up.
A reboot may be needed after installing a new version but I expect you've done that already.
Rhys

SCShell
2006-02-23, 04:38 PM
Hey Rhys,
Well, as usual, you were on the right track. I had to call support; however, the idea was the same.
Revit 8.1 can only be changed from the "advanced" button on the Folder Option technique. By using this, it makes you go back to Drive C>Programs>AutodeskBuilding8.1>Programs>Revit
Once we did it from there, Voila! And you don't have to re-boot. You do have to try twice however because the first time you try it will open Revit 8.1, but not the project. Second time worked like a charm.
Downside.....all .rvt files open with 8.1 (as usual!)

Thanks for the help!
Steve