PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling inside gable roof, stairs w. boxed space underneath

mawi
2004-04-22, 08:12 AM
Hello,

you can extend roofs to walls and other roofs. You can attach (and thus
extend) walls to roofs. Roofs and walls.

What about getting other components into the equation?
* Ceilings: Can ceilings be extended or trimmed by a gable roof?
* Stairs: Can walls extend / attach to stairs?

Concrete examples/questions:

(1) I want to put small walls (preferably walls so I can but a little door
there) under a 90 degree stairway space. I did:
- Floor view, put walls with low height under stairs at right spots
- Create and go to section view and manually modify height and then
manually sketch wall profile so that it matches stair stringers (spelling?).

There must be a better way?

Another related issue is that the I have to put the walls just "inside" the stairs outer boundary so that it does not look to funny (lines appearing inside the side stringers).

(2) I want to put a ceiling in a floor where gable roof begins almost at the
floor. Ceiling should be at normal height. If I go to floor view, select
ceiling and edit, select walls in sketch and ok - I then get a ceiling that
sticks out right through the gable roof on the sloped sides. How do I make it pay attention to the roof, ie trim it or similar?

If it cant be done in a relationship in any way, how can I even sketch the lines so that they are where I want them?

Tough questions, really tough for me as I am a newbie at revit. It seems you can do anything with families and so on - I really am looking for the quickest solution possible - not the sexiest!

-mawi

aggockel50321
2004-04-22, 12:06 PM
What about getting other components into the equation?
* Ceilings: Can ceilings be extended or trimmed by a gable roof?
* Stairs: Can walls extend / attach to stairs?

Ceilings - no

Stairs - no

- Floor view, put walls with low height under stairs at right spots
- Create and go to section view and manually modify height and then
manually sketch wall profile so that it matches stair stringers (spelling?).

If you choose, you can place a floor in your stairway landing & have the walls below attach to it. One way - place the floor in a level showing the landing, select the floor, & change it's elevation to match the landing.

As far as connecting walls to the underside of stairs, the only way I know of is to do what your doing (edit elevation profile).

Another related issue is that the I have to put the walls just "inside" the stairs outer boundary so that it does not look to funny (lines appearing inside the side stringers).

?? You can control the stringer position, or whether there are or are not stringer(s) in the stair properties dialog. The added lines you are seeing might also be the stair railings.

I want to put a ceiling in a floor where gable roof begins almost at the floor.

You can do this using reference planes. Go to a section showing the gable profile,draw a horizontal ref plane at the fin. ceiling height, then vertical reference planes at the intersections of the underside of the gable roof & the ceiling ref. plane.

Go to your ceiling plan, & you'll see those vertical planes added in the section as your ceiling boundries.

Vincent Valentijn
2004-04-22, 12:49 PM
1) YES [andrew pay attention will ya?]

Got to the sectionview and place a Ref.Line over the underside of your stinger. Attach top of wall to that Ref.Line. - also works just fine for curved ramps and stuff like that.
I also use this method for horizontal non-level endings of walls, it's easier to control them this way than by height properties.

2) Use method described by Andrew, Refplanes drawn in section will show up in planes too.. align ceiling edges. Ceilings are indeed a bit annoying.. roofs intersecting floors are not ideal either [use edit cut profile here]

you need to put the walls inside the stinger so it doesn't look too funny? how do you mean? You don't mean that in -reality- you would put the wall under the stairs -outside- the stingers do you? now that would look funny indeed!

good luck! :D

aaronrumple
2004-04-22, 01:22 PM
I don't bother using ref. planes....

Just make the roof.
Then make the ceiling oversized.

Next join the two geometries. This creates lines at the intersection of the roof and ceiling.

Now just select the ceiling and use pick lines to make new edges. The old model lines will still be there in grey.

Delete the old lines and finish the sketch - done. Perfect.

Vincent Valentijn
2004-04-22, 01:28 PM
I don't bother using ref. planes....

Just make the roof.
Then make the ceiling oversized.

Next join the two geometries. This creates lines at the intersetion of the roof and ceiling.

Now just select the ceiling and use pick lines to make new edges. The old model lines will still be there in grey.

Delete the old lines and finish the sketch - done. Perfect.

nice!

mawi
2004-04-22, 01:53 PM
Thanks for these tips, I have not really used reference planes at all (just used revit over a week now) and aarons geometry tip sounds great.

-mawi

(who lived in st louis when he was in fifth grade)

A requirement for the procedure described is that the ceilingtype is set to a compound variant before join, otherwise it will not give the desired/visible result on the roof needed to sketch the along the roof.

(of course, after sketch any ceilingtype can be used)

-mawi

(this was a typical wiki edit/update)

aaronrumple
2004-04-22, 10:12 PM
Yes. Interestingly enough - the basic ceiling is the only surface model object I know of in Revit. Of course a plane with no thickness (2D) can't be joined wityh 3D geometry.

I hope for more surface modeling in thefuture so sheet metal items need not have a thickness...