PDA

View Full Version : Correct handling of slope arrows?

mawi
2004-04-22, 04:29 PM
Slope arrows seem to work very inconsistently. What are the hidden tricks to make them work like they should? Are there any known limitations? (obviously, the revit help or revit documentation does not say anything, it rarely does)

Concrete example and question:

Simple building shape with slanted roof, where front wall wants three dormer like roofshapes, see picture. I try to get slope arrows to work but I cant. I get the message "Can't make footprint roof."

Any clues? I have tried putting the arrows differently, with sketched lines and lines attached to walls, etc, etc. No difference.

gregcashen
2004-04-22, 04:45 PM
The reason this is not in the help is because this is probably not the best way to accomplish what you are trying to do. You need to make the dormers as separate roofs and then join them to the main roof. I believe there is help and a tutorial on this procedure in the revit help.

aaronrumple
2004-04-22, 04:52 PM
Like this?...

mawi
2004-04-22, 05:05 PM
The reason this is not in the help is because this is probably not the best way to accomplish what you are trying to do. You need to make the dormers as separate roofs and then join them to the main roof. I believe there is help and a tutorial on this procedure in the revit help.

Alright. I guess I just thought the slope arrow method that they advertised in the help seemed nifty.

Aaron: Dont understand what you changed, miscommunication I guess.

Separate roofs it is.

gregcashen
2004-04-22, 05:10 PM
I think he wants this...which I was able to do by changing the sides of the gables to slope defining.

http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/download.php?id=2148

aaronrumple
2004-04-22, 05:38 PM
Sorry - posted wrong file...

mawi
2004-04-22, 08:26 PM
Well, you guys are incredible! This is the best support team I've ever encountered, save for some open source products that have the same enthusiastic, dedicated and knowledgeable userbase.

Since my wall is not straight I see the simple solution in setting the small walls as slope defining. Very nice.

Thanks!