PDA

View Full Version : Tagging Linked Files

mmodernc
2006-02-25, 10:03 PM
Sure this has cropped up before but no epiphanies after search.
You can schedule linked file elements but I cannot see how you can tag them.
And we still need to see this tagging of walls in section and elevation.
I am making tagging the basis of my documentation system because text notes are dumb. A tag will update when you swap a wall type etc.
It relates the schedules to the drawings and vice versa. This will be extremely important when the two way databasing is ironed out (e.g. Project Coordination, API's ) for working out bills of quantities and doing specifications and building code checking.
So if many of your projects are low density multi unit projects on undulating topography (with a few cliffs now and then) the only way is to tag the individual linked files and produce a separate set of drawings. This is where I think the philosophy of linked files is premised.
But is it the best way to present to clients, consultants and builders and to get your drawings stamped by local authorities a?

dbaldacchino
2006-02-25, 10:12 PM
I like it....I think we need like a "tag all not tagged" for rooms in linked files too. Our Engineers cannot see room names in RS when they link our RB model. At least we need a way to display room names of linked models. Tags are view specific, so we need a quick way to get names to display within files containing linked models...hence a Tag All Not Tagged feature would be nice.

beegee
2006-02-26, 02:01 AM
The individual building files can still have the master site plan and the other building linked back to them.

You are correct that all tags for all linked building files cannot be shown on the same view in the one file, so the work flow is to use each of the separate building files for this.

Sure this has cropped up before but no epiphanies after search.
You can schedule linked file elements but I cannot see how you can tag them.
And we still need to see this tagging of walls in section and elevation.
I am making tagging the basis of my documentation system because text notes are dumb. A tag will update when you swap a wall type etc.
It relates the schedules to the drawings and vice versa. This will be extremely important when the two way databasing is ironed out (e.g. Project Coordination, API's ) for working out bills of quantities and doing specifications and building code checking.
So if many of your projects are low density multi unit projects on undulating topography (with a few cliffs now and then) the only way is to tag the individual linked files and produce a separate set of drawings. This is where I think the philosophy of linked files is premised.
But is it the best way to present to clients, consultants and builders and to get your drawings stamped by local authorities a?