PDA

View Full Version : Adding vertical element to wall family

mmulvey
2004-04-22, 11:43 PM
I need to add vertical elements to a wall type - want to create railings that act more like walls - so far I have defined a new wall type with a 1½" air space as its core then added circular sweeps at 12" centers to represent the horizontal rails - any way to add vertical pipe posts?

Using railings is ok but they are more dificult to edit, they don't join and one can't add doors to them (I have created a 5'-0" gate for the purpose).

sbrown
2004-04-22, 11:49 PM
You'll have to use a wall hosted vertical sweep. Model>host sweep>wall hosted>in the options bar choose vertical. pick the profile you want.

aaronrumple
2004-04-23, 12:04 AM
I still think the railing tool is the right one. For the gate - you just need a separate ballustrade style... I'll work up and example when I get a chance.

gregcashen
2004-04-23, 12:11 AM
CROSS-POST FROM THE NEWSGROUP:

I would make a baluster panel family that looks like your gate. Then make a
railing and split a section of it into a 3' section or however wide your
gate needs to be plus a little extra. make another railing type that uses
the gate as a baluster and make the middle line into that railing type. you
could even angle it so the gate looked open...put it in a rendering design
option and when you render, it would be open.

this is the normal railing gate normal railing again
-----------------------------x---x--------------------------

aaronrumple
2004-04-23, 02:40 PM
You'll see in this example I designed the gate in as the end post of the railing. This keeps the gate attached to the railing <at least one segment.>

You would just need a cople of variations of the railing style to cover segements with a gate and those without.

mmulvey
2004-04-23, 06:36 PM
Thank you - I have downloaded and will check out the file - I still need to find a way to make a rail wall as I have a project that includes a lot of under-cover animal pens that need to be treated as rooms (Agricultural vetinary facility). Some have regular walls, others are partially walled and the rest are railings all round.

I know I can use room separation lines to get the areas to appear correctly on the schedule but being able to move/modify the railings as walls and the gates as doors would be a big help.

aggockel50321
2004-04-23, 07:29 PM
Maybe a custom curtain wall?... These can accept doors swapped out for panels.

gregcashen
2004-04-23, 08:02 PM
Can't you just use room separation lines to make them rooms? I just tried it and it seems to work.

mmulvey
2004-04-26, 04:22 PM
Room separation lines do work but it's not as good a solution as some kind of wall would be.

mmulvey
2004-04-26, 04:26 PM
Aaron,

Your files are in 6.1 format - I'm stuck in 6.0 (long story) so I can't open them.

Aside: I always thought that software "point updates" preserved file compatibility while whole-number increments did not...

Still drives me crazy that every Revit update installs to a new directory and has to be re-customized for our network.

aaronrumple
2004-04-26, 05:14 PM
How does the new directory affect your network?
This is a feature I really like as I can keep a couple of versions on the systems as we migrate.
We do have content on the network, but this only requires moving the users *.ini file from the old to the new directory.

Just curious as to the problems you found.

mmulvey
2004-04-26, 05:47 PM
Aaron,

I guess if all it takes is moving the INI file, it's not that bad but I'm always a bit reluctant to do that if it contains entries specific to the new build.

What we have found problematic is re-pathing user's setups to point to shared network project and library files etc.