PDA

View Full Version : levels

scoe
2006-02-28, 04:13 PM
I am working on a large site with several multistory buildings. The floor to floor heights of the buildings are not the same, but are important becuase we will be connecting them via sloping ramps.

I had started using masses for the buildings and then applying floor area faces using notation such as 2nd floor building A and another level called 2nd floor building B, and using scope boxes to control the level locations. I was then only applying appropriate levels to certain masses, but this gets confusing.

What is the best way to have multiple levels in different buildings in one project?

bowlingbrad
2006-02-28, 04:28 PM
Using scope boxes would be a start. Check the help and tutorials. Also, search this forum for scope boxes. Many great suggestions here!

scoe
2006-02-28, 04:39 PM
Perhaps I'm not using them correctly, but I've already tried scope boxes. I have a scope box on one of the buildings and the levels for that building are all associated with it. Problem is that masses outside the scope box show the floor area faces for the levels associated with a scope box they aren't in.

rhys
2006-02-28, 04:44 PM
Make sure you understand how scope boxes and cropped regions work. Have you considered linked files, linked files we specifically developed to deal with multiple buildings on "campus" sites.

scoe
2006-02-28, 04:45 PM
linking the files is the answer....I thought I could do it all in one project, but linking them is definately the way to go.

thanks.

bowlingbrad
2006-02-28, 06:00 PM
Linking is definately a good way to go!

However, search this forum for the drawbacks to linking files. Just so you are not banging your head :banghead: about something a few weeks into the project.

Chirag Dedhia
2006-03-01, 11:07 AM
I'm just trying to pitch in this discussion, with what i understand of your query. If you have made 2 buildings in the same Mass(Same Mass Name), then when you select the Mass for the Floor Area Faces, it will put the selected floors on all buildings in that Mass.
I haven't tried scope boxes for this. But if you have two different buildings with different number of floors, you should ideally make them as separate Masses.

Am i making sense? :-)