PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/ Roof / Joist interaction.

bclarch
2003-05-29, 02:59 PM
I have a detail where the top edge of the ceiling joist is poking through the roof. I went to the section and used the "Edit Cut Profile" command to clip off the top edge of the joist but that command is view specific. The change only appears in the section view but the joists remain unchanged in the rest of the project file. The 3D view shows the joists still poking through. Has anyone else had to deal with this problem? I could just pull the edges of the ceiling joists back but I would rather have the full bearing shown in my sections and details if possible.

bclarch
2003-05-29, 03:06 PM
I forgot to check "visible portion of view only" box when exporting the roof image. Here is the zoomed in version that I intended to post.

PeterJ
2003-05-29, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure how you modelled this, whether the ceiling and the joist are modelled as a slab or whether you have drawn in a structural joist element. It looks like the former/.

In either case you should be able to model a void and use it to cut the specific bit of geometry required. This will work in all views and is as close to what will happen on site, where they will trim the joist ends, as you can get.

Use an in place family to create the void, extrude, sweep or blend whichever you find easiest to create it (looks like a sweep to me) and then while still in the in place family editor use the cut geometry tool and select the joists.

P

bclarch
2003-05-29, 07:45 PM
Thanks Peter. I used a void sweep.

Michael Coviello
2003-07-16, 05:58 PM
I am trying the same method; however, the triangular area protruding out of the roof is still there as well as the void. I also tried tools/cut geometry, to cut the void and the floor structure with no luck. Please let me know if you had better luck.

Michael Coviello
2003-07-16, 06:27 PM
the answer is to use tools/cut geometry prior to finishing the family.
This works well but i had to go to the 3d view to select the void and the floor.