PDA

View Full Version : Diamond plan pyramid, to a point

Andre Baros
2006-03-02, 02:58 AM
ARGGGH. This is easy to do when the sides are at right angles, but simply cutting away voids to create a pyramid doesn't work when you're dealing with sides which are not perpendicular to the path of the extrusion (or sweep for that matter). Any ideas.

Also, cheating with a blend to a very small top gives me coordination problems at the next stage.

Wes Macaulay
2006-03-02, 03:01 AM
I'm having trouble envisioning your problem... do you have a sketch for us?

Andre Baros
2006-03-02, 05:03 AM
Thanks Wes. As usual, as soon as I post to AUGI, I figure out my own answer. Maybe it's writing down the question that does it...

What I'm trying to do is to create to massing pyramids, one over the other. The first one (green in the images) is for architectural, and is nice and orthogonal and friendly to draw. The second one (blue in the images) is for structural and represents the planes perpendicular to all the inflection lines of the architectural. This is where I was having my problems because it had to mesh perfectly with the architectural for the structural to get an accurate model, and for the two to adjust together through the various permutations of the mass.

What I ended up doing (Diamond-E below) was creating a blend between two diamonds, the top one offset from the bottom by half, cutting it in half with a void and then doing that a second time for the other side. A bit convoluted, but it works out great and flexes completely.