PDA

View Full Version : Railing

dsw98
2006-03-02, 09:47 PM
How do I add a railing to an existing set of stairs?

Andre Baros
2006-03-02, 10:01 PM
Edit the sketch of your new railing, use the "pick host" tool, pick you existing stair. Viola.

dsw98
2006-03-02, 10:27 PM
Sweet, thanks.

kimheaver
2009-02-09, 09:34 AM
Edit the sketch of your new railing, use the "pick host" tool, pick you existing stair. Viola.

Are there any issues with this, I've tried this over and over and it just won't slope the railing.
I tried set host when editing an existing railing and during the sketching of a new railing, it seems to have no effect at all.

Any clues?

Kim

Scott Womack
2009-02-09, 11:18 AM
I tried set host when editing an existing railing and during the sketching of a new railing, it seems to have no effect at all.

When creating a railing, you need to look closer at how the Stairs tool works. When you supply a width to the stairs, that have stringers, typically, the stringers are "outside" of the width you supply, which is in effect inside to inside of the stringers. Thus, when you are creating or modifying a railing, the sketch line seems to need to be inside of the stringers as well, to get properly hosted. If you want the posts and pickets to hit on the stinger, you'll need to give them, and any rails they attach to an offset, to get them over the stringer, while the sketch line remains inside of the (green border line when the stair is in sketch mode) stringer.

kimheaver
2009-02-09, 11:33 AM
That's it, thanks a lot Scott.
The sketch line needs to be inside the stringer, you can re-edit and drag it back once its already hosted.

Thanks again.

Kim

Scott Womack
2009-02-09, 11:36 AM
Yes, you can drag it out, until you edit the atairs again, then you'll have to go through the process of dragging it back in ,rehosting it, then dragging it back out. That is while I learnded to offset the items, so that the sketch line always stays inside of the stringer.

kimheaver
2009-02-09, 11:37 AM
Ah, ha.

Thanks again,
Kim