PDA

View Full Version : Make a finish extend beyond the logical top/bottom of a wall

Wes Macaulay
2004-04-26, 01:46 AM
Wood frame designers looking for a way to extend the sheathing / finish from a wood frame wall down onto a concrete foundation wall below can do so - no workarounds required. I've just never gotten around to posting this -- it's a good 'un!

Edit the wall style with the layer(s) you wish to extend.

Click Preview and change the view type to Section. Zoom in to the top or bottom of the wall -- whichever end from which you're going to extend a layer of material.

Click the Modify button and click the bottom/top edge of the wall, and you'll note that the edge line of each material highlights. Click one and unlock it. Note that multiple layers can be unlocked only if they're adjacent.

In a Section view hold your cursor over the top/bottom edge (whichever you unlocked and click Tab til the layer highlights. Use Move or Align to move the layer(s) up/down to suit.

gregcashen
2004-04-26, 02:20 AM
This was part of the vertical compound wall feature released in, I believe, 5.0

Wes Macaulay
2004-04-26, 04:19 PM
Glad to hear it's been around that long!

gregcashen
2004-04-26, 05:42 PM
Hey Wes, in reviewing my post, it sounds like I am being know-it-all-ish...didn't mean to come off that way. I was just clarifying that this was not exclusive to 6.x releases...so for those on older versions, this is something you can use now.

Anyway, sorry if I sounded like a jerk, but it happens sometimes when I am rapid-fire posting to keep my post count high! ;) I certainly wouldn't want to discourage people from posting some of these more obscure tips!

Wes Macaulay
2004-04-26, 05:53 PM
Oh gosh -- I'm pretty hard to offend -- especially in print! There's no body language to back up the words, and I know you're busy keeping up that post count :lol:

And it's good for viewers to know that they can do this in 5.x if they haven't had the good fortune to upgrade. It's also good to know that you used to have to use a line and the align command to make this work... now you can just Tab and drag...

W.