PDA

View Full Version : Smoother Walkthru Camera Viewing

Steve Hutana
2006-03-05, 08:36 PM
I am using the following views to creating walkthrus

1. Custom Elevation "3D view"
2. Street level plan

My w/through looks like a roller coaster ride which is not cutting it at presentation stage to my client.
I want to be able to control the camera view. ie fix the cameras angle on my objects? Camera moved all over the place in custom Elevation view when setting camera

I have finally resolved the speed, camera elevation and image size resolution but need a better way of setting the actual view of the object in elevation.

Any help greatfully accepted

Regards
Steve

iru69
2006-03-05, 09:22 PM
I have finally resolved the speed, camera elevation and image size resolution but need a better way of setting the actual view of the object in elevation.

I think there have been a number of past threads that might be helpful - have you tried a forum search? Here's one that might be helpful:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=33026

Steve Hutana
2006-03-05, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the tips

But I have read every thread in Augi on Walkthroughs for elevations and path creation
Have also seen others ask about camera angle control but no satisfactory solutions.
Revit and Augi is "very" light on assistance for Walkthroughs.

I will state my request again

I am looking for a better method of controling the camera angles (view of my objects)

Note: At street level camera is horizontal by defaul which is great, but at aerial views the camera angle is proving very difficult and time consuming to control ie (too loose and variable)

There must be someone in Revit land who has found a better method of controling the angle.

And no i am not interested in learning VIZ thanks, I know Revit can conceptually deliver my ideas without the added cost to my client of hiring a VIZ gun.

If I can get some help I will post my findings/tips on W/throughs (pre/mid and post output) if my AVI presentation is a success. If not it will be the first time Revit has let me down in nearly 4.5 years of using it.

iru69
2006-03-05, 10:25 PM
I am looking for a better method of controling the camera angles (view of my objects)
Hmmm, I'm afraid there may not be a better method.

The only way I'm aware of is to create the path, doing your best to select elevations as you go. Then edit the path in plan, adjusting the view direction and placement of each key frame. Then, using the dynamic view tools, go through each key frame, adjusting the view (dolly/forward/back/turn/etc). Go to elevation views to adjust the elevation of key frames. Repeat as necessary. The views between key frames appear to be interpolated between key frames. The more key frames you have, the more adjustments you can make and the less interpolation is necessary.

I'd be eager to know of an "easier" way to make such adjustments as well, but you might be headed for the wish list? Maybe someone else can be of more help to you. Good luck!

LRaiz
2006-03-05, 11:02 PM
Direct your camera at desired targets for every key frame. If walkthrough is still jerky add intermediate key frames and point camera as desired for these key frames as well.

Steve Hutana
2006-03-06, 12:00 AM
Thankyou for the support, Awesome

In addition to adding extra key frames I will custom position elevations at certain key frames perpendicular to the camera path to further refine camera angle on objects.

Tip 1 . If creating birds eye AVI, Keep It Simple ie, pre elect levels where possible, though in the messiness of reality you dont now the height to object altitude until you bench test the w/through.

Tip 2. is to keep your camera pointed either 1) parrellel with the path or Perpendicular at key frames, this cuts down that "Wolfenstein / Doom" look that made us puke during the early ninties!

More to come.......Just had presentation bumped to tomorrow morning, so big thanks to Augi Revit team for assistance.

sjsl
2006-03-06, 12:22 AM
Also try to keep your number of frames high if speed is of a concern, usually around 1300 frames will give a smooth and controlled rate. It approx. human walking speed

iru69
2006-03-06, 12:52 AM
Also try to keep your number of frames high if speed is of a concern, usually around 1300 frames will give a smooth and controlled rate.
1300 frames over how much time?

MartyC
2006-03-06, 05:30 AM
You can preview the view at any key frame. Double click on it.

Direction of view from horizontal is determined in elevation, highlight path and bring up elevation, target can then be adjusted.

Speed I aim for is 25 frames per second, that fits in with my video editing software for DVD and allows the appropriate speed for PAL viewing on local TV's

If you find the animation too fast add to total frames, note also the m/sec speed and the fact you can speed up and slow down the rate of animation.

Note 1300 frames = 52 seconds of animation at constant speed. Note that if the animation distance is long, the frame number is increased by the time. Work out how far you are to travel and consider the time length of the animation, simple math will get you there.

Hope that halps a bit.

CheersM

Steve Hutana
2006-03-06, 09:47 PM
Its Tuesday 10:20am NZ time and the Revit Sun is shining again!

Thanks to all who helped get me to the deadline alive!

PRESENTATION RESULT.

And the Oscar for best Achievement in Visual Effects goes too, hehe some Kiwi guy...hehe.

AVI Outcome was a genuinely huge success.

THE TASK
The animation was of a number of buildings on a site all in Revit.
The path was 50% at ground and 50% at birds eye view.

Data

34 blue dots evenly spaced!
1300 frames over the entire length
20 frames/sec
W/thru view size 500x300

Challenges I had to resolve
1) Controlling Camera direction on object
2) Controling Camera direction on object!!!
3) consistant smoothness
4) Reduced pixilation at output
5) Huge file due to linked buildings and large site

The AVI was 220 megs in shade with edges using cyni pac compression at 100%

Once AVI complete I added it to Movie maker along with stills (with effect filters added)

End result was another wickedely quick awesome Revit delivery.

Unresolved Issues
1) Blue tinge to AVI on projector? A/desk resellor is having the same problem. I will be changing glass to Green to help cut this down. I suspect its something to do with W/thru view size and screen resolution.
2) When setting the W/thru view size I found that the camera image size increased with the size of the W/thru size which tended to distort the image? Will bench test this further.
3) NOt able to save Window Tile to a template for recalling. I mean every time I go back into views, i have to recall view WT them and zoom to required view? Messing and time consuming.

Next step is tackling Virtual building with Consultants using Composer to coal face our designs while finding a structural firm who use Revit!.