PDA

View Full Version : Revit 6.1 CD via FedEx with serial # on label

Tom Dorner
2004-04-26, 07:32 PM
I just received the Revit 6.1 CD today via FedEx.

I noticed that our serial number is printed on the packing slip/shipping label affixed to the outside of the package for the world to see.

Anyone besides me think it is not wise to let the world know what our serial number is? With that number and a download of Revit from the Internet someone could be in business with our serial number.

Tom

studio3p
2004-04-27, 03:49 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I suppose that the likelihood that the FedEx guy is looking for an opportunity to swipe a Revit serial # is pretty slim, but it is a strange decision all the same. I would think an "open to the eyes of the world" reference number that's linked to the serial # would be a good way to discourage passive # grabbing while giving Autodesk a way of tracking which licenses have been boxed, labeled and shipped.

PaulB
2004-04-27, 06:02 AM
It is not just Revit it is also AutoCAD 2005.

At least they're consistent :wink:

Nickdp
2004-04-27, 01:05 PM
Your serial no is only meaningful to Autodesk in that they can match your client records to it so THEY know who you are.

To steal your Revit license the FedEx guy would need to install it, and use your serial no and the request code from his PC to get a valid activation no, which if successful, would then count as a successful activation event and you couldn't then activate another license using the same serial no.

In reality, if the FedEx guy knows enough about Revit and is aware of what is possible, then he's obviously in the wrong job :? (or he lurks in this forum (LOL) so the culprit would be narrowed down to a mere 1000 suspects..)

Any comment from the Factory ? ... Steve ?

aggockel50321
2004-04-27, 01:38 PM
Funny,

When the Fedex guy dropped off my cd, he asked me to comment on a set of drawings he did for his new house...

Amazing how fast it it to learn Revit.