PDA

View Full Version : Create a Dormer

matt.98118
2006-03-06, 10:46 PM
How do I go about creating a dormer roof? All the tutorials I find in Revit ALREADY have a dormer created in the model. I understand how to cut a dormer opening in a roof, but am not sure how to create the dormer in the first place.

I tried creating a dormer from 3 walls which I raised to a height above the roof plane. This worked fine, but I am not able to merge or join the dormer roof to my gabled roof.

HELP!

Arnel Aguel
2006-03-07, 02:59 AM
You dont have to trim right away your roof just create a simple gable roof using your walls then use join roof to join it to the main roof.

Hope this helps.

kpaxton
2006-03-07, 04:24 PM
How do I go about creating a dormer roof? All the tutorials I find in Revit ALREADY have a dormer created in the model. I understand how to cut a dormer opening in a roof, but am not sure how to create the dormer in the first place.
I tried creating a dormer from 3 walls which I raised to a height above the roof plane. This worked fine, but I am not able to merge or join the dormer roof to my gabled roof.
HELP!
MAtt,
Yeah, it looks like you've done a bit too much to your roof to begin with and that's causing you difficulties. Arnel is correct in that to make this work properly, just do a simple, thin gable roof and then extend this to the main roof. Be careful that the peak of the dormer is below the peak/ridgeline of the main roof, otherwise you'll get an error. Once the dormer is made, then make the opening as you require.

I've enclosed a quick PDF Tutorial on Dormers. I apologize for the quality as I was trying to conserve size/bandwidth. This is for creating a simple dormer, but more intricate ones use the same process.

Hope this helps.
Kyle

matt.98118
2006-03-07, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the great tutorial! I am giving it a shot to see if I can figure this one out. Did I miss something in the Revit tutorials or is there no mention of how to create a dormer like we are discussing?

Either way, I really appreciate everyone's input. GOOD IDEAS!