PDA

View Full Version : Baseboards using sweeps

harkeychad
2006-03-07, 02:02 PM
I would like to put all my base boards in my residental project but I would not like to see them in plan view. I do not see anywhere that I can hide them. Also do I really have to make seperate wall types for certain walls that I do not want baseboards on one side or the other? Thanks for the help.

roy.70844
2006-03-07, 03:11 PM
You can hide the baseboards by setting the view range. Set the bottom offset and view depth to some value just above the baseboard height.
As far as I know you will need to make wall styles for those that have/have not baseboards on each side.

Roy.

iru69
2006-03-07, 03:48 PM
I would like to put all my base boards in my residental project but I would not like to see them in plan view.
Are you applying the baseboards using wall hosted sweeps?
Create a new sub-category to walls (in object styles), e.g. "base trim".
Create your wall sweep type, selecting the profile you want and and select the "base trim" as the sub-category.
Apply your base trim sweeps.
Turn off the "base trim" sub-category in any view you don't want to see them in using the visibility/graphics settings.

harkeychad
2006-03-07, 04:09 PM
Thanks, I will change the view range when I need to print it out.

harkeychad
2006-03-07, 04:32 PM
Are you applying the baseboards using wall hosted sweeps?
Create a new sub-category to walls (in object styles), e.g. "base trim".
Create your wall sweep type, selecting the profile you want and and select the "base trim" as the sub-category.
Apply your base trim sweeps.
Turn off the "base trim" sub-category in any view you don't want to see them in using the visibility/graphics settings.

Here is the profile. I do not see how I can make the sub-category? What am I missing?

iru69
2006-03-07, 04:40 PM
Here is the profile. I do not see how I can make the sub-category? What am I missing?
Settings > Object Styles
Select Walls category.
Click New (Modify Subcategories).

harkeychad
2006-03-07, 04:56 PM
Settings > Object Styles
Select Walls category.
Click New (Modify Subcategories).

I did do that. The problem I think is in the base 1 profile. This is a basic profile from the library and it will not let me make a subcategory. I must be missing something.

iru69
2006-03-07, 05:00 PM
I did do that. The problem I think is in the base 1 profile. This is a basic profile from the library and it will not let me make a subcategory. I must be missing something.
You don't make the subcategory in the profile. You make it in your project. When you create a new wall sweep "type", you assign the profile you want to use as well as the subcategory.

Sorry, I don't have time right now to write up a tutorial on this, but if you do a forum search (or use Revit Help), I think you'll find a lot of info on how to create a wall sweep. Good luck!

aaronrumple
2006-03-07, 06:33 PM
Since I'm doing my finished floor as a separate entity, I'v found it simpler to add base trim on as a floor slab edge rather than a wall sweep. I can apply this much faster.

iru69
2006-03-07, 07:14 PM
Since I'm doing my finished floor as a separate entity, I'v found it simpler to add base trim on as a floor slab edge rather than a wall sweep. I can apply this much faster.
I've been contemplating this approach as well, since when I use wall hosting, the base board often goes through intersecting walls and into adjacent rooms (where I don't want it to go). And if there's a door in the adjacent room, then you end up with a bunch of break points that you can't get rid of without moving the baseboard up to the ceiling, shortening it, and then lowering back down to the floor (sometimes that seems to work, sometimes it doesn't)... or slicing all the walls at intersection points so the sweep will stop!

How about crown molding? I've had similar problems with that, but there's no ceiling-hosted sweep that I can see. I suppose you could vertically offset a slab edge sweep to ceiling height...

iru69
2006-03-07, 07:29 PM
Also, while we're at it - any tips on placing sweeps on the interior of a building?

When placing them in interior elevation view, it's difficult to continue them from wall to wall (this is also where the slab edge technique could be a lot faster). You can't place sweeps in camera (perspective) view. Is there any way to *easily* create an interior 3D orthogonal view that you can spin around in one spot placing wall sweeps (like you can spin around the exterior of a building)?

dhurtubise
2006-03-07, 07:45 PM
Did you try section box ?

harkeychad
2006-03-07, 07:52 PM

Aaron,

Could you possibly give me an example of this floor slab edge used as a base. I have not used it before. If not, I will look it up and go from there. Thanks

iru69
2006-03-07, 09:40 PM
Did you try section box ?
Thanks for the suggestion... that could be helpful in certain situations. However, a section box by its very definition would seem to negate being able to spin around and view all the walls of a space. Also, I think sections boxes would be difficult to manipulate and manage on a room by room basis.

I'm looking for something a bit more straightforward (it's almost stunning to realize that Revit can't do that).

dhurtubise
2006-03-07, 10:07 PM
I thought of using section box for a whole floor. You could also create a view template to only show you walls, floors and sweep.

iru69
2006-03-07, 10:13 PM
I thought of using section box for a whole floor. You could also create a view template to only show you walls, floors and sweep.
Ahhh, brilliant! I'll have to give that a try.

dhurtubise
2006-03-07, 10:17 PM
Let us know

iru69
2006-03-07, 10:35 PM
Let us know
It works for doing sweeps... nice tip!

There's still the inherent issue with sweeps going through intersecting walls (so I'll be leaning on slab edge hosting in the future), and I still think it should be easy to pick a spot in plan and spin around from that spot and "model" the building from that spot... but I'm getting a bit off topic.

Melarch
2006-03-08, 09:43 PM
To hide the baseboard in any view you first need to create a sub-category under the wall category in the Object styles dialog box. Create your baseboard sweep using a profile (i.e. baseboard1.rfa) and set its sub-category to the newly created Wall Object sub-category. Then in any view, including Floor Plan Views, go to the Visibility Graphics dialog box and uncheck the newly created sub-catagory.

Mel Persin, AIA

crarchitect
2007-01-16, 12:19 AM
Good tips on the solutions for those tricky wall sweeps, but I think any good Wall Base method still needs to address the base condition as it effects Wall Type and the Wall Schedule- as they appear in CD's. I have been searching AUGI, but I have not found a well documented method yet:

1. Are you pro's still making a wall type for Wall A, a second type for Wall A with base on One side, and a third for Wall A with base on both sides? Do we really need Three wall types for the same partition type??
2. Three "types" for what is really the same Wall A looks duplicated in Wall Schedule and this would also clutter up the plans with Multiple Wall tags.
3. How could Aaron's floor based sweeps show up on the wall type / tag / schedule?

Am I missing something? Thanks for your review of this situation. AUGI rocks.

christo4robin
2007-01-16, 04:31 AM
I'll second Aaron Rumples approach. Control visibility in a plan view by turning off the visibility of floor slab edges. No new subcategories to keep track of or manage. Its the best approach for my needs.

rjcrowther
2007-01-16, 09:34 AM
Could I chip in with a related question please? Is this normal to use view templates to make it easier to apply objects to the model - particularly those in difficult places such as internal sweeps as mentioned.

The idea sounds appealing - wonder how it goes in practice.

Rob

Arnel Aguel
2007-01-16, 11:07 AM
I'll second Aaron Rumples approach. Control visibility in a plan view by turning off the visibility of floor slab edges. No new subcategories to keep track of or manage. Its the best approach for my needs.Not really very best approach for me specially if you have mutiple rooms on a certain level you can't afford to break up your floor for every room just to be able to pick the edge of your slab when applying baseboard sweep.

I still use wall sweep but create temporary callout plan view for each room and orient to other view for easy navigation.

tomnewsom
2007-01-16, 12:05 PM
It irks me that you can't do 'magic' baseboards (UK:skirting). If you can do a ceiling or room boundary by clicking in a room, why can't I get an architrave or skirting to follow that boundary. Very annoying, as it seems like an easy to implement functionality.

Arnel Aguel
2007-01-16, 12:31 PM
It irks me that you can't do 'magic' baseboards (UK:skirting). If you can do a ceiling or room boundary by clicking in a room, why can't I get an architrave or skirting to follow that boundary. Very annoying, as it seems like an easy to implement functionality.Totally agree with that It should be fairly easy to implement if we can do that now with fascia board or gutter with just using tab to highlight the roof edge that should be fairly easy also for room boundary .

crarchitect
2007-01-16, 06:26 PM
Great point about the large projects. I can see the strengths of both methods; wall sweep and floor sweep. Perhaps the technique for a given project should follow your actual construction method.

Can anyone talk about wall base material as it relates to wall type? Do I just need to go back to design school on this one? Is a wall with base any different then the same wall type with no base??

AHHH, the light bulb just went on. The base element wants to be an INSTANCE PARAMETER of the wall but I was unable to link the hosted sweep to a Yes/No parameter. Now THAT is what I wanted to ask the Reviteer's community. Are people having any luck turning wall base On and Off instance style?

pleasantc
2007-09-25, 11:06 PM
Good tips on the solutions for those tricky wall sweeps, but I think any good Wall Base method still needs to address the base condition as it effects Wall Type and the Wall Schedule- as they appear in CD's. I have been searching AUGI, but I have not found a well documented method yet:

1. Are you pro's still making a wall type for Wall A, a second type for Wall A with base on One side, and a third for Wall A with base on both sides? Do we really need Three wall types for the same partition type??
2. Three "types" for what is really the same Wall A looks duplicated in Wall Schedule and this would also clutter up the plans with Multiple Wall tags.
3. How could Aaron's floor based sweeps show up on the wall type / tag / schedule?

Am I missing something? Thanks for your review of this situation. AUGI rocks.

Does anyone have answers for these questions??

I have a few related ones as well:

1) I am having trouble getting wall bases to schedule.
2) Aaron's method of "attaching" them to the floor seems to make sense when you consider that a tile base would go with a tile floor, and a rubber base would go with, say carpet. But I have no idea how to attempt this.
3) I am about to develop a partition schedule, and I am at a loss for that as well. I was searching for help with that when I came across this thread, which reminded me of the other questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Calvn_Swing
2007-09-26, 04:55 PM

(While not a "pro") We use a wall type for the "core" conditions only. So, Gyp+stud+Gyp = A3. Any additional information is handled by other elements. So, Tile is actually a separate wall type (Finish Tile 4"x4" or the like). Sweeps are done using the host sweep modeling tool not within the wall types. Since Walls are system families you can't add parameters to the like you can a component family to control the existence of a wall sweep for instance, at least not that I'm aware.

See above, not a problem for us.

You can't make them show up in any wall annotation families or schedules. They aren't part of that category. That's the downside, and why we can't use that workaround.

1) I am having trouble getting wall bases to schedule.

Can't help you there as we don't schedule them in walls, and you can't schedule them in rooms (where we make them "show up" with dumb text. We try and mitigate the stupidity by making room key schedules to control the material/finishes of the room schedule as they are usually consistent across "types" of rooms in our projects. Oddball rooms we cover with a key value of "see int. elev." and leaving the rest of the material and finish info blank on those rooms.

2) Aaron's method of "attaching" them to the floor seems to make sense when you consider that a tile base would go with a tile floor, and a rubber base would go with, say carpet. But I have no idea how to attempt this.

Look for any slab edge tutorials online. It is exactly like a hosted sweep in terms of a profile loading into a system sweep family that happens to be in the floor category instead of the wall category.

3) I am about to develop a partition schedule, and I am at a loss for that as well. I was searching for help with that when I came across this thread, which reminded me of the other questions.

Same thing, look for some scheduling tutorials. AUonline has some good info if you have access to it. I'm sure there are some great threads on this forum to cover it as well if you'll search for them.

Good luck!

pleasantc
2007-09-26, 05:12 PM
Thank you so much for your help.

I am not necessarily trying to schedule the base in any particular category - it doesn't show up in my quantity take-off. Where I need it to show up is my finish schedule, in whatever category.

The only idea I can come up with is to make a wall type, assign the material to it and put it in no particular place in the model - so it won't show up anywhere but the schedule.

I was hoping/assuming that there was a more intelligent way to do this, seeing as wall bases are a 'finish' used in every project.

Calvn_Swing
2007-09-26, 05:13 PM
Not really very best approach for me specially if you have mutiple rooms on a certain level you can't afford to break up your floor for every room just to be able to pick the edge of your slab when applying baseboard sweep.

I still use wall sweep but create temporary callout plan view for each room and orient to other view for easy navigation.

What Aaron is talking about is the finish floor, not the slab. The object he is using to generate the bases is called a "slab edge" in Revit though it should be called a "Floor/Slab Edge" as it is really any condition that follows the edge of any floor object. Aaron is doing what we're doing. We have slabs that are usually in our structural models, and then we have finished floor elements (like carpet, VCT, tile, etc... that are in our architectural files. He is hosting a "slab edge" on these elements. Usually, these are broken up into however many rooms you have. (our contractors rarely install the flooring before they've placed the walls, so typically we don't have carpet running continuously under our metal stud tracks...)

I really like Aaron's suggestion, but I'm not sure I could explain why wall bases aren't in the wall category when I export to other programs for our estimators and contractors. I may have to give it a shot anyway just because the ease of placing them consistently is far superior...

Calvn_Swing
2007-09-26, 05:29 PM
Thank you so much for your help.

I am not necessarily trying to schedule the base in any particular category - it doesn't show up in my quantity take-off. Where I need it to show up is my finish schedule, in whatever category.

The only idea I can come up with is to make a wall type, assign the material to it and put it in no particular place in the model - so it won't show up anywhere but the schedule.

I was hoping/assuming that there was a more intelligent way to do this, seeing as wall bases are a 'finish' used in every project.

We need to clarify if you're doing a material take-off or a quantity/schedule. In both instances you can either pick a category, or do multi-categories. If you do the former you can only have objects within that category show in that take-off or schedule. If you do the latter it is kind of a mess because only the parameters that are consistent between all the categories will show up as being fields you can schedule (this isn't exactly true, but close enough for now). Kind of like when you select a door, window, and a wall, and then click properties. You can't get to the door width or the window height or the wall type because you've got multiple categories selected.

So...

1. What kind of schedule is your finish schedule? Is it a material take-off (what we use) or a schedule (not sure how you'd do that except as a key schedule in the room category). You'll get very different results/requirements. In a normal schedule OR a material take off, objects that aren't in the model won't show up regardless. So, you can make a bazillion wall types to your heart's content, but you won't get jack in your takeoffs or schedules until you actually place those wall types in the model. The key schedule is the ONLY way to get something to magically show up in a schedule that doesn't exist in the model. (That, or creating a separate lined file or new phase that you don't show in any of your documentation views and then create those elements in those phases/files and schedule them. - kind of complicated as you can image). Our finish schedules are done one of two ways. (a) We place every material in the project that we are using. Walls get painted or finish wall types applied. We place bases, make finish floors, etc... Then, we do a material takeoff for each category (Walls, Floors, Etc...) and filter the results to get rid of things like Gyp, Metal Studs, etc... or we just do a multi-category material take-off and filter for materials with "Finish" in the material name and don't worry about categories. It is a good check to see if all your materials are being used and have been placed. Also, it means you can use the material tag to automatically tag almost any elevation and get exactly what you want to be there and be accurate as you have design changes/updates.(b) We create a linked file with however many floor, wall, base, etc... elements we need in a "materials" phase and schedule the linked file in the host file just like in option A, except that you're faking the materials to some extent and there is no guarantee that your documentation matches your desires...

2) To repeat: So, you can make a bazillion wall types to your heart's content, but you won't get jack in your takeoffs or schedules until you actually place those wall types in the model. The key schedule is the ONLY way to get something to magically show up in a schedule that doesn't exist in the model.

3) There isn't really a good way to do this yet in Revit. Every solution is a compromise on some extent. We compromise on our Room schedule since it seems to be limited in several ways, and then make everything else smart.

Good luck!

pleasantc
2007-09-26, 07:16 PM
I have a Material Take-Off, a Quantity Take-off and a Finish Schedule! I'm using them each for the purposes you laid out. The only one that will show on a sheet or be used for anything dealing with construction is the Finish Schedule. I thought at first that it just wasn't showing up in that, but I looked at the other two and it wasn't in either of them either. From all the settings/paramters/fields/filters I've looked at over and over, it should be showing in all three! For now I think I might have to either forget about it or do the wall type thing, because I have a deadline in two days!

Calvn_Swing
2007-09-26, 09:33 PM
Once again, I don't understand how you're doing a "finish schedule" because there is no such thing in Revit. Schedules are either by category (Wall Schedule, Floor Schedule) or multi-category. Either way there is no "Finish" category so I can't imagine how you're creating a finish schedule. (Unless it is a key schedule, in which case making it show is as simple as adding a row. These aren't tied to modeled geometry. Every other one is...) So, what kind of "schedule" is your finish schedule. I can't really help until you answer that!

Scott D Davis
2007-09-26, 09:49 PM
Once again, I don't understand how you're doing a "finish schedule"

Probably a Room Schedule that reports the finishes of that room.

pleasantc
2007-09-26, 11:31 PM
I think it is a multi-category schedule. It was a while back that we created it, but it's divided by categories, multiple categories, so that leads me to believe it's a multi-category! What I have done for the time being is added my tile base to a wall type (a tile wall), and created a piece of floor and assigned the rubber base material to it. They both show in the 'schedule' now. What I would like to do is put in a sweep (or whatever works) on the walls themselves so that the bases show in elevation, and the same bases schedule. Is that not possible?

Thanks, again, for your immediate help!!

sbrown
2008-11-10, 07:01 PM
You are NOT crazy, we have just found the same issue. In a multi-category Material Take off HOST SWEEPS materials do NOT show in the schedule. This is a huge problem for us too.

dimitri
2009-04-20, 09:05 PM
You are NOT crazy, we have just found the same issue. In a multi-category Material Take off HOST SWEEPS materials do NOT show in the schedule. This is a huge problem for us too.
Likewise! Big problem for us too.

Anyone with Revit 2010 found if this is resolved? We haven't upgraded to 2010 yet.... *sigh*