PDA

View Full Version : curtain walls

sultarc
2006-03-08, 06:48 PM
I'm experimenting with curtain walls for a new project. I checked the forum but did not find my answers. so....

1. When I create a curtain wall and i want to delete a segment, it leaves a joint. How do I eliminate the joints?

2. I'm clueless as to how to insert a door into a curtainwall? When I highlight the panel, all I get for fills is wall stuff. And having inserted the door, how do you size the panel opening to the door?

Melarch
2006-03-08, 07:35 PM
In answer to your first question, if you are removing the grid segment using the Add or Remove Segments button on the option bar, then their is no joint. When you add mullions you get joints and these can be controlled by selecting the mullion at the joint you want to reposition, a four line symbol will appear at each joint and selecting this symbol will restructure the joint intersections. You can also use Break at Join on the option bar with Mullions to change their crossing pattern. Using the Linework tool on the toolbars will let you make the joint lines invisible. Hope that addresses your joint issue.

To insert doors into curtain walls you need to load a curtain wall door from the door folder in the Imperial or Metric library's. Then you need to select the Panel in the curtain wall you want to insert the curtain wall door. You may have to tab on the curtain mullions adjacent the panel location you want to insert the door. Tabbing will cycle through the different elements at that mullions location and display a rectangular outline as well as display a tool tip and information about the sub-category element in the Status Bar at the bottom of the Revit window. Once the panel is selected you can go to the Type Selector list on the option bar and select the curtain wall door to be placed in that panel.

Have Fun!

Mel Persin, AIA

sultarc
2006-03-08, 08:09 PM
I loaded a curtainwall door, or I thought I did. I cannot seem to find it in my project. Does it put it with the door families or the wall panel families? It has to be wall families otherwise when you select the hole it would not be available to you as a door.

At any rate i've loaded it twice and cannot find it anywhere in my project to insert into the hole. Where is it?

Melarch
2006-03-08, 09:54 PM
Are you able to select the curtain wall panel. Once the curtain wall panel is selected and highlighted in RED you should be able to go up to the Type Selector list on the Option Bar and select the curtain wall double glass door. Make sure you are loading the curtain wall double glass door and not the double glass door..

Mel Persin, AIA

Merlin
2006-03-08, 10:23 PM
I loaded a curtainwall door, or I thought I did. I cannot seem to find it in my project. Does it put it with the door families or the wall panel families? It has to be wall families otherwise when you select the hole it would not be available to you as a door.

At any rate i've loaded it twice and cannot find it anywhere in my project to insert into the hole. Where is it?

hmmm.....not quite sure but this may be the thing....when you insert a door into a curtain wall, unlike normal walls where you just drop them in, you have to first make the correct size opening for it i.e. you have to adjust the joints/mullion/panel-sizes/whatevers locations to suit the door......check out the on-line help under "Creating an Entrance". It's a good clear tutorial.

HTH
John Mc

Merlin
2006-03-09, 07:49 AM
oops!......Just re-read the original request....I was on the wrong tangent there. What you have to do is still create the grid/mullion arrangement to accept a door. Then you select the panel you want (you will have to toggle through using the "tab" button) Once the panel is selected, go to Properties on your Options Bar. Here you will notice the door selections (and the one you loaded should be there also)

OK....If I got the query right THIS time, it should help!...;-)
HTH
John Mc

sultarc
2006-03-10, 02:59 AM
And why is it that only one type of glass wall can be inserted into another wall? The one where you add the mullions cannot.

Merlin
2006-03-10, 03:44 AM
And why is it that only one type of glass wall can be inserted into another wall? The one where you add the mullions cannot.

....sorry?....not quite understanding what you meant....(might be my Aussie Accent)

sultarc
2006-03-10, 04:41 AM
I mean that there is a storefront wall that can be inserted into another wall so why can't a curtainwall be inserted? I like being able to insert my mulls where i want them in the curtainwall.

sultarc
2006-03-10, 02:48 PM
OK, I managed to get the curtainwall double door to work but still cannot get the curtainwall single door to load. Anyone have any thoughts?Also I appreciate the help given.

Merlin
2006-03-12, 05:02 AM
OK, I managed to get the curtainwall double door to work but still cannot get the curtainwall single door to load. Anyone have any thoughts?Also I appreciate the help given.

I may have an idea as to the problem but I'm shooting in the dark...It may have something to do with the way you are breaking the wall into segments.....with all curtain walls, remember, no segment created for the door = no door allowed......is it possible for you to copy the walls into which you are trying to insert your doors onto a seperate file and post it here for us to have a look at? If you can make sure you have the families of the door/s you want, loaded into it also. I won't be back on for a day or so if you're in a rush, sorry.

John Mc

SkiSouth
2006-03-12, 12:27 PM
Sultarc,

1. In 81. you can overlay walls and use cut geometry to "insert" them into a base wall. The image attached shows curtain wall, storefront, and a brick/metal stud wall inserted into a 8" generic.
2. Curtain walls (and storefronts) are composed of breaks - called curtain grids, and the part in between the grids called panels.
a. To replace a panel with a door or different wall section you must select the panel to be replaced.
This is done by using the tab feature to select the panel you want to replace. sometimes its easier to do this in a 3d View. Now when you look at the properties of the Glazed panel, The curtain wall door is an option. Simply select the curtain wall door, and the panel will be converted.
b. The curtain wall door is listed with doors and is a door type, so it will schedule. The curtain wall door can only exist with a curtain wall so it is in the system panel portion of the curtain walls. You'll have to be careful with your grid placement or you'll get a curtain door scheduled that is 3'1 3/8" x 6'-9 5/8".
Also, you were correct in loading the curtain door family before trying to place it in the curtain wall.

sultarc
2006-03-12, 06:43 PM
I've managed to get to the point skisouth described. With some difficulty I have managed to get a 3-0 door placed. I must be doing something else wrong for I find I have a hard time adjusting grids after they are placed and made into mullions. Also, is there a method for having a wall of some sort below the storefront but having the door go to the floor? Many times owners do not want the glass to go all the way to the floor.

dbaldacchino
2006-03-12, 09:30 PM
You need to use the tab key to highlight the entire grid line. If you have a type-driven curtainwall with spacings defined, you have to unpin the gridline before being able to move/delete it. As for doors, you could replace a panel by a wall (make some generic walls with the same width as your mullions) and then insert a regular door attached to the wall being used as a panel. If you search a bit in these forums, there was an entire thread on this, which is where this tip was suggested and it works great.