PDA

View Full Version : Opening files from desktop

patricks
2006-03-08, 10:57 PM
I know I read something about this recently, but I didn't really know what to search for.

I've had both versions 8 and 8.1 installed on my computer for some time. Up until now if I double-clicked on a project file from Windows Explorer or the desktop, Revit 8 would open and try to bring up the file.

Today I uninstalled version 8, and now when I double click on a file, I either get an error saying "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed", or nothing happens at all. Even if I right-click on point to Open, nothing happens. I have to right-click on the file, point to Open With and then choose Revit Building to make the program come up. Even if I go to Choose Program and navigate to Revit.exe in the 8.1 program folder, I still have the same problems when double-clicking on a file. Is there any remedy for this?

gbrowne
2006-03-09, 08:52 AM
Not that I have any specific software .exe knowledge, but if I ever had problems with any software in the past, I would uninstall and reinstall.

And restart.

And turn around three times.

Elmo
2006-03-09, 09:52 AM
Also try assigning the files files to the exe. Right click go open with other programmes and link the files to revit 8.1's exe.

patricks
2006-03-09, 01:25 PM
Also try assigning the files files to the exe. Right click go open with other programmes and link the files to revit 8.1's exe.

yep, did that several times already, no difference.

Scott D Davis
2006-03-09, 05:12 PM
go to Windows Explorer (you must have Admin or Power User rights to do this)

Tools>Folder Options, then File Types Tab

Find RVT in the list fo files, highlight it, then click Advanced (opens new Dialog)

Click the New Button. in Action Type "Open with Revit 8.1" (no quotes)

In Application used to perform this action, Type exactly:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Building 8.1\Program\Revit.exe" "%1"

Click OK

highligh the new "Open with Revit 8.1" and click Set Default button.

Click OK/Close to get out of all dialog boxes.

Your files will now open in 8.1 by default. Do the same for RFA and RTE if you'd like.

patricks
2006-03-09, 05:29 PM
Ah nice, works great now.... still seems like a whole lot of trouble to make it do what it should be doing anyway. :roll:

Elmo
2006-03-10, 06:07 AM
Ah,Thanks Scott. I never knew about that method.

Paul P.
2006-03-10, 08:44 AM
Scott, great tip.

Paul.

hand471037
2006-03-10, 05:45 PM
you know, I had this happen to me with a Revit beta in the past. It doesn't happen very much in my experience, I think you just got unlucky.

SCShell
2006-03-13, 02:49 PM
Hey there,
Put me down for this one too. I have this problem with 8.1
Even after doing this "tools>folders" technique, I still have the problem after a couple of days. I think one problem is the way Revit named the program in this release. If you go to explorer, you can open Program and find Revit; however, it is the only release that I can find that does not have a release number as part of it's name. IE: Revit7 or Revit 6.1 etc. IN this release, it mearly says "revit" and no number. I think windows gets confused when opening older files now.
Could be reaching....who knows
Steve

johnf.77896
2006-03-14, 03:23 PM
My folders in the file explorer say Revit 8.1. In program files and in the doc & settings folders. This might sound simplistic but why not open Revit first and then open the file that you want. The program needs to get loaded either way.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

patricks
2006-03-14, 04:41 PM
My folders in the file explorer say Revit 8.1. In program files and in the doc & settings folders. This might sound simplistic but why not open Revit first and then open the file that you want. The program needs to get loaded either way.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

Sometimes when I'm looking for a file I look for it using Windows Explorer, and not Revit's Open dialog. If I do that, I want to be able to click on the file to open it, and not have to go back to Revit, hit Open, and then navigate to the same place a second time.

I also read a tip on the Tips & Tricks forum for a way to make Revit start up faster, that is, instead of having a desktop shortcut to the Revit program, which then opens your Project Template (several MB in size for us), instead make a very small "startup.rvt" project file (~400KB in size, could have company logo showing or whatever), and then double-click on that file to open Revit.

johnf.77896
2006-03-14, 05:25 PM
Another way would be to drag and drop it on to Revit. That of course would only work if Revit was already open. For me opening Revit is the first thing that I do when I get to the office and then go get a cup of coffee and come back, something that has been held over from the times of when it would take 3-5 minutes to open an old program that I use to use ( ottocad ).

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.