PDA

View Full Version : Tabbing in text

Chad Smith
2004-04-28, 12:44 AM
I am in the process of converting our Standard Notes block from DWG to Revit.

I have created an Annotation family and started resetting out the notes. (BTW importing DWG files that have text and hatching sucks, but that's another story). In the text fields I have tabbed to space out the text neatly and it all looks fine... until...

... it is loaded into a project. All the tabbing is removed and I am left with boxes in place of where a tab should be.

Now, I'm guessing that this is a bug and wouldn't be fixed until a later release. But I think the time has come to improve the text editor feature for the next release. Something in the order of the AutoCAD multiline text editor that has multiple font styles and formatting and tabs would be a great start.

beegee
2004-04-28, 01:01 AM
Tabs in annotation families is a known bug unfortunately.

This post may be of interest also.

For another completely wacky approach to the text issue:

Copy/paste your text into an Mtext object in AutoCAD. Mtext will respect your formatting to some degree, bold, font size etc. No tabs however unless you are using 2004 (haven't installed 2004 here yet so...) You'll also get the spell checking features and case adjustment options inside AutoCAD.

Then you link the dwg to your Revit project. Edits are done in AutoCAD and reload the link to see the changes in Revit.

I also tried OLE into AutoCAD and then linking but the OLE object in AutoCAD isn't recognized by Revit and you get "zip".

Sad to report that AutoCAD 2004 does indeed respect tabbed text when copy/pasted into an Mtext object. The sad part is Revit importing the 2004 document does not respect the tabbed text, instead supplying code for the tab values. NOT pretty!! It would have been a great workaround!

jwilhelm
2004-04-28, 01:21 AM
I agree, text editing in REVIT is seriously inadequate. Try creating a spec sheet that doesn't continually shift charactes around every time you edit a line. I would like to see the ability cut & paste or even link word documents to a revit drawing. and please, lets hold the REVIT team to a higher standard that Autocad, lets not emulate autocad functions in REVIT, lets keep REVIT "next Generation"

Tom Dorner
2004-04-28, 04:29 AM
I agree that the text functions in Revit need improving.

Meantime, what I am doing is using Word and Excel for notes and other items. I then print them as PDF's, open the PDF's in Photoshop (Elements) and save them as JPEG's. The JPEG's then go into Revit just fine and the quality is excellent.

Not the "ideal" solution, but it works for me for now.

Tom

Nelson V
2004-05-14, 09:10 PM
I agree, text editing in REVIT is seriously inadequate. Try creating a spec sheet that doesn't continually shift charactes around every time you edit a line. I would like to see the ability cut & paste or even link word documents to a revit drawing. and please, lets hold the REVIT team to a higher standard that Autocad, lets not emulate autocad functions in REVIT, lets keep REVIT "next Generation"

I'm having the same problem, did you find a workaround solution :?