PDA

View Full Version : 45d vertical corner mullion?

Wes Macaulay
2006-03-09, 11:17 PM
How would you handle this condition?

This is a plan view...

sbrown
2006-03-10, 02:45 AM
I like to use a column family. I'm not sure how to do it the "right way"

Rols
2006-03-10, 03:40 AM
Scott,
Would you embed the column family into the curtainwall panel, or would you place it as a seperate "column" and then butt the curtainwall into it??

sbrown
2006-03-10, 01:47 PM
I just place the column and let the curtain wall die into it. However I think now that you can use profiles to create mullions you maybe able to take a standard rectangle profile, rotate it 45deg then use it on oneside of the corner to get what you want. Embeding into a panel is and interesting idea, I haven't had to do one of these since release 5 when you couldn't make your own mullion shapes.

al
2006-03-10, 03:33 PM
In the type parameters for mullions there is a profile option. You can create a custom profile and load it in there. I actually had a really hard time getting this example to work. It's been a while so I'm trying to recall ...

Wes Macaulay
2006-03-10, 04:16 PM
Al, could you post your file? I'd like to see you did it. Or just grab the corner, group it, and save the group out and upload that.

To now, the column idea works best for me -- horizontal mullions get stopped by geometry in the custom panel family. You have to manually set the "column" height and geometry, but ah well that's life.

RodneyLester
2006-03-10, 04:28 PM
In the type parameters for mullions there is a profile option. You can create a custom profile and load it in there. I actually had a really hard time getting this example to work. It's been a while so I'm trying to recall ...
You can't apply a profile to any of the corner mullion system families. What a shame.

Wes Macaulay
2006-03-10, 04:36 PM
He didn't use a corner mullion family of course, so cleanups at corners become a bit messy. But Al's example is looking promising!

al
2006-03-10, 10:34 PM
How do i post just a portion of the file?

Wes Macaulay
2006-03-10, 10:43 PM
Select the two curtain walls that form the corner. From the Edit menu choose Group. In the Group dialog, either note that name of the group or rename it to Corner CW Example.

From the File menu, choose Save to Library > Save Group. From this dialog, choose the group that you're saving out to disk. You'll probably have to zip the resulting SVG file that you get out of Revit for it to be attached to this thread; I don't think SVG is an allowed extension for an attachment.

:beer:

al
2006-03-13, 08:56 PM
let me know if it needs to be broken down. it was pretty unruly when i tried to load the group on my computer. i think all i did originally was create the profile offset from the reference planes at an angle.

dbaldacchino
2006-03-14, 04:28 AM
Ahhhh you guys missed my post a while ago....

Take a look at this and download the attachment of my final post:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=34339

I nested a generic model in a panel family, and used a bunch of formulas to get a "corner mullion" to work at all angled conditions. Let me know if you have problems getting this to work and modify to suit your needs.

Wes Macaulay
2006-03-14, 11:38 PM
Nice work David! We need the mullion to poke thru the wall so it's visible from the outside, but I'll have a look at what you did. Looks awfully slick.

dbaldacchino
2006-03-14, 11:42 PM
Thanks :) All you need to do is edit the extrusion plan profile...add to the front of the extrusion basically, with similar end flexing to what the back of the mullion is doing on the interior (using reference planes that rotate according to the angle between the adjacent curtainwalls). I needed a butt-glazed situation so i didn't show a cap.

BMcCallum
2007-03-20, 07:01 PM
Hope someone can shed some light on this one.

When I modify the curtain wall mullions and the custom corner mullion for a 5-1/4" mullion and 7/16" offset from the face of curtain wall to the outside face of glazing, the glazing for the corner mullion panel isn't in the right place. What am I missing? I have set the offset in both the mullion and the panel family.

Attached is the adjusted curtain wall.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Regards,

Bruce

dbaldacchino
2007-03-21, 03:49 AM
Seems like something in the custom curtain panel template changed with RB9.1. I posted a fixed version HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=675427#post67524).

BMcCallum
2007-03-23, 04:12 PM
Thanks, Dave, you rock!

Worked like a charm.

jcoe
2007-03-23, 06:29 PM
This might be a little off point and maybe even rudimentary to some, but how do you apply the corner mullion to a curtain wall. I cannot find an option in the element properties of my curtain walls to apply a corner mullion. I have been using the column method as a work around.

The help file mentions several applications for corner mullions, but does not seem to elaborate on how to apply them.

dbaldacchino
2007-03-23, 06:41 PM
There is nothin built into the family to solve that. Use the cutom panel mentioned in the thread above. Replace your end panels with this custom family (it has the adjustable mullion built into it).

jcoe
2007-03-23, 06:54 PM
Man, this place rocks.