PDA

View Full Version : Starting a fresh project

sultarc
2006-03-12, 06:49 PM
I am about to start a project with four small buildings on the same site. They will be built in two stages. I have a site plan from the land planner. Two buildings are 10,000 sf and two are 4,000 sf. I am thinking of phasing the buildings all in the same file. Does one start on top of the site plan as a base?

Melarch
2006-03-13, 01:11 PM
My suggestion is to consider creating each of the buildings in it's own project file and linking them into a site plan file. This is the recommended way to handle multiple building projects on a single site. Also it helps keep file size smaller and allows teams to work on each project more effectively. Last but not least since you expressed interested in phasing th various buildings and possible site development, this method will help reduce the complexity of phasing of multiple buildings in a single file and the vast number of views to support the buildings and their respective phases.

Max Lloyd
2006-03-13, 01:22 PM
definitely definitely definitely do this as linked files.

Don't try this all in one file, you'll have a nightmare! The main drawback (and there are many) to doing it all in one file is simply locating the buildings on the site. Invariably at some point, you will want to change the location, orientation, even the handing of a building relative to the site. Moving, rotating a building within its project file is just hassle at the best of times. When its a linked file into a site plan, its very easy as its just like moving a component around.

Link it or regret it! ;)

Max.

kpaxton
2006-03-13, 02:02 PM
definitely definitely definitely do this as linked files.
Don't try this all in one file, you'll have a nightmare! The main drawback (and there are many) to doing it all in one file is simply locating the buildings on the site. Invariably at some point, you will want to change the location, orientation, even the handing of a building relative to the site. Moving, rotating a building within its project file is just hassle at the best of times. When its a linked file into a site plan, its very easy as its just like moving a component around.
Link it or regret it! ;)
Max.
Can I get an AMEN?

Can I get a HALLELUJAH?

I can't stress enough what Max has so eloquently said to describe the process. Treat each building as an independent project and you'll be fine. The linking abilities have got much better and will continue to improve. Besides, any jurisdiction that I've dealt with, you have to provide a separate package for each building anyway to get your building permit. Think of it that way, if it helps.

Good Luck and Happy Reviting!
Kyle

patricks
2006-03-13, 03:44 PM
Here's my question: if you have several buildings that you all want in the same set of CD's, how do you go about documenting such that all the views and details and everything stays coordinated?

What if I want to cut a section of one building, and then cut a section of another building, and then have both sections display on the same drawing sheet?

How about referencing a single drafting detail on several buildings on one site?

Scott D Davis
2006-03-13, 04:22 PM
Link all buildings into a "master" file that contains the site. Callouts of each building on the site plan sets up each building's plans. Make sections of the buildings in the callouts ouf each builidng, and you can place them on any sheet you want in the master file. Revit 9.0 will add to this functionality, including full control over the linked file's visibility.

Phil Read
2006-03-13, 05:28 PM
Separate files. If you ever have to relocate, rotate or elevate either of the buildings with regard to each other and the site - you'll have that flexibility.

-Phil

patricks
2006-03-13, 05:30 PM
So that means I'll still end up with mass numbers of views in the site master's project browser, right?

I'd like to see the views in one file/model show up as a separate section in the project browser when you link that model into another file, similar to how when you Xref an AutoCAD file, the Xref's layers will display in your layer drop-down box.

cphubb
2006-03-14, 12:46 AM
So that means I'll still end up with mass numbers of views in the site master's project browser, right?

I'd like to see the views in one file/model show up as a separate section in the project browser when you link that model into another file, similar to how when you Xref an AutoCAD file, the Xref's layers will display in your layer drop-down box.

Can you sort/group your browser views by linked files? On our big projects we use the browser settings alot and it is a lifesaver.

One example is we created a new shared parameter added it to the view and have certain views for modeling and some for placing on the sheets with drafting components. It is really great because one person (PM) can be looking and working on the overall view, make a change while the draftsperson is doing the enlarged plans/details, quick save and reload updated details.

I do not know if the browser can use the linked file bu add a new parameter and away you go.