PDA

View Full Version : Aligned Dimensions

charliep
2006-03-13, 08:07 AM
Using Revit 8.1 I am trying to dimension the length of a wall set at an angle. I've clicked the Aligned Dimension tool; cycled through the tab so a dot shows at each point and yet I still get the ortho linear dimensions. Is there something or some family I need to load? Is there something simple I'm missing? Any help will be appreciated.

aliya14
2006-03-13, 08:36 AM
If you want something similar to the image u will have to actually press tab at the vertices till u get the dot and then again press tab on the other vertice
U should be able to get the aligned dimension
Regards,
Aliya

Melarch
2006-03-13, 01:18 PM
In some instances I have found that getting the control point (dot) on the wall element does not work. As a work-around solution I place a ref. plane at the location and angle that I want to measure to and that works just fine. Since ref. planes will not plot if checked off not to plot in the Print Setup dialog box, placing ref. planes is not a plotting issue.

charliep
2006-03-13, 06:20 PM
Thanks Aliya14 & Melarch,

The ref line solution worked. It appears this is a problem of long standing (I'm new to Revit) so can I assume it will be fixed for the next patch/release or am I just living in hope.

Top of my wish list (not just for Autodesk but all software producers) is that the program will work as promised in the advertising without patches, workarounds, etc.

patricks
2006-03-13, 06:51 PM
I have never had a problem dimensioning walls as Aliya attached. However, you only get the dot on the outer vertex (finish face) of the wall. I think it's better to dimension to the core, which in many cases is the stud layer, so that it can be accurately placed in the field. Unfortunately you can't get the dot to attach a dimension to the vertex of an inner layer, only the outer-most vertex will work.

charliep
2006-03-13, 09:14 PM
Thanks Patricks,

From what you say I see my problem. See attached file.